Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dodge dealer rip-off (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31707-dodge-dealer-rip-off.html)

Interceptor 08-28-2002 10:54 AM

Anyone out there explain something with my 2002 2500-v-10 4x4 Ram.
Occasionally when shifting from park to drive or reverse a loud clang noise comes from the drivetrain (assume transmission). Other time just the normal thud noise.
Suggestions ?

Intolerant1 08-28-2002 11:17 AM

Fords no better.

My truck died while my wife was driving it. I called Ford and they gave me a number of a tow service and told me to have it brought in. I told the tech that it had a Hypertech chip in it and I would start by pulling it out. The chip was bad and they charged me $164 for "Diagnostic" plus $80 for the tow. The tow driver told me it was $50. Got in an argument when I refused to pay over $50 for the tow that I had to call and arrange. They stated they tack on $30 for handling the paperwork. I ended up in the owners office who finally agreed to drop it to $50. Still got screwed on the diagnostic charge. They never even pluged the truck in.

bobby daniels 08-28-2002 11:29 AM

HeY PACKINAIR DON'T WORRY THERE AREN'T MANY DODGES (IF ANY) THAT WILL RUN 350 K MILES MUCH LESS TOW A 38 FOOT BOAT !:)
HEY WHY DON'T YOU SEE ANY DODGE WRECKERS ? WEAK FRAMES !!!!!!
NOT TRYING TO WIND YOU UP JUST FACTS AS SEEN :) AND ALL CAR COMPANYS DO MAKE MISTAKES JUST SOME MORE THAN OTHERS

Dean Ferry 08-28-2002 11:51 AM

Hey Bobby,
How are you? Did you sell your 388? That was/is one BEAUTIFUL boat!! How's your 47 running?
Take care,
Dean
BTW, that why I either do the work myself or I have my mechanic do the work, I can't afford to take it to the dealer!

Cord 08-28-2002 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Rick252
1997 Ram 4X4 and I can't keep it in brake shoes. 3 sets of rotors and 8 sets of shoes. I only tow my boat (5400lb) a mile both ways, maybe three times a month during season. Other than that its been a good truck
I don't know anything about the dodges, but I can relate a chevy experience to you. I know somebody that had a chevy truck that was blowing pads every 15,000 miles. Everybody was saying that it was the way that he was driving, but I brake harder than that. After going through several sets, he finally found a dealer that was worth a bean. There is a clearance between the caliper and the spindle. His was too tight and when the caliper would heat up it would bind thus dragging the brakes. Just another thing to consider.

btw-if that clearance is too loose, the brakes will clunk.

bobby daniels 08-28-2002 12:09 PM

HEY DEAN, HOPE YOUR FINE ,HOWS YOUR VELOCITY ?
DID SELL 388 IT WAS A GOOD BOAT THANKS FOR SAYING HELLO :)

Rick252 08-28-2002 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Cord

I don't know anything about the dodges, but I can relate a chevy experience to you. I know somebody that had a chevy truck that was blowing pads every 15,000 miles. Everybody was saying that it was the way that he was driving, but I brake harder than that. After going through several sets, he finally found a dealer that was worth a bean. There is a clearance between the caliper and the spindle. His was too tight and when the caliper would heat up it would bind thus dragging the brakes. Just another thing to consider.

btw-if that clearance is too loose, the brakes will clunk.

Thanks Cord, I'll look in that direction

Category6 08-28-2002 12:37 PM

WAIT A MINUTE....how much is a thermostat, with gasket, gasket sealer and coolant? Guessing $30? And the hourly rate, maybe $80? Now that adds up to $110...so add in a little profit and it doesn't sound that bad....they do have over head and stuff. Am i right or wrong?

CigDaze 08-28-2002 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Category6
[B]...so add in a little profit and it doesn't sound that bad....they do have over head and stuff...[B]
Ya, but that's what the 80 bucks an hour is for...I don't think it's all going to the mechanic. (And it should have been 60 bucks for 45 minutes);)

pachangalpina 08-28-2002 01:09 PM

WRONG!!!! The labor rate has all this figured into it and the parts are sold at retail so they make money on the part also.