Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Electric over Hydraulic Brake Controllers >

Electric over Hydraulic Brake Controllers

Notices

Electric over Hydraulic Brake Controllers

Old 08-25-2002, 01:57 PM
dloftis

Default Electric over Hydraulic Brake Controllers

I'm not extremely happy with my surge drum setup, and I'm thinking of converting to a disc setup with electrohydraulics in the off-season this year.

Does anyone have the Carlisle or Ausco setup, and if so, how do you like them? Are there other brands out there? And where can you get them?

FWIW, my boat is ~5000 lbs on a tandem axle trailer.

Old 08-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I love my surge brakes and would go that route again in a heartbeat.

I have a triple axle with surge brakes on two axles. Drums with free-backing cams in them.

Only gripe at all is the thunk when taking back off from a stoplight. I just ease out on it first. Also happens after braking on a downhill.

What I like so much is that the hyd surge setup matches braking force to the need. However much braking you need up to the point of lockup if necessary. This is the case either loaded or unloaded.

Also like the fact that if the boat became loose from the truck that the brakes would engage.

I've driven car hauler traliers wit5h electric brakes and here's what I don't like about them:

I've used a 2-stage brake box that gives two stages of braking (plus manual override). With the trailer loaded you gotta jack up the voltage setting. With the trailer unloaded, you end up locking the wheels and being generally hard on the tires unless you back way off the voltage setting.

I also don't know how I feel dunking an electric setup (I'm sure they make some for water use, but am leery of it).
Old 08-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had all three, the electric brakes suck.

I prefer vacum over hydralic, not sure how it works but I used it on all my race boats its awesome you dont even know the boats attached.

I dont like the surge brakes because of the slam bam thing.

Big draw back on the vacum over hydralic (Cost) you have to have a pump installed on your truck.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a friend who converted his trailer (for his Velocity 280) to electric over hydraulic disks. He is extremely happy with his set up now and would not consider anything else in the future. I believe he has the Carlisle set up.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:09 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted to hyd. discs with the conventional controller. They operate great (except for the clunk when you take off). My car carrier has electric brakes tapped off the hyd. brakes in the truck. The varying hydraulic pressure hitting the contoller sends varying voltage (not just 2 stage) to the brakes. The harder I hit them up front...the more they stop in the back. Never had a lockup problem. Because lightly loaded you don't hit the truck brake as hard. Also never sunk them in water a couple times a week For boat trailers I'd stay with Hyd.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Registered

Had trailer built with them and put a electric over hydraulic onmy friend's 38 ft boat trailer........he loves them..Some states now have it as law that all trailers will be electric. Mine is 12,000 lb total weight and I wouldn't have anything else now.

Mopower ...........there is a cure for the clunk. Is's in the receiver and draw bar. Reese has a new style locking pin. On older receivers you have to drill a second hole, but on the new receivers ...there is already a second hole. The locking pin with or without key lock.........has a "U" shape.........where the bar goes completly throught the assembly and the other end hooks into the receiver and you tighten with a nut. Keeps all the clunking away

Last edited by enticer; 08-25-2002 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:09 AM
aussie

www.sensabrake.com

I've got these & they are excellent, no electrics anywhere near the water, 10,000 pound boat & trailer, they can easily lock up the trailer if required,
I have dual calipers on the front axle & single on the rear.
cheers,
Dave

Old 08-26-2002, 07:21 AM
aussie

www.sensabrake.com

I've got these & they are excellent, no electrics anywhere near the water, 10,000 pound boat & trailer, they can easily lock up the trailer if required,
I have dual calipers on the front axle & single on the rear.
cheers,
Dave

Old 08-26-2002, 03:27 PM
dloftis

Thanks for the responses guys.

Anybody else?

Old 08-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enticer,
Sounds like a good idea....BUT my car carrier with electric brakes doesn't clunk and it's the same hitch. AND my buddies boat trailer( behind my Tahoe) without brakes doesn't clunk. In my case I know the clunk is the surge unit expanding again when I take off. What I was going to try is one of those slide in pieces with rubber in the middle like a motor mount. "They claim" to reduce some of the shock.
We'll see.

Quick Reply: Electric over Hydraulic Brake Controllers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.