Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out? >

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Notices

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boat is fixed. The shop said it looked there were 2 impellers' worth of material clogged up in the power steering cooler.

Having not owning a boat, I thought the amount of water coming out of the exhaust was substantial. Apparently not. It now puts out about 4 times as much water as before according to the mechanic.

I'll get it out for another test and tune this weekend. Having the lst excursion out of the way, I already feel 100x more confident.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Good deal glad to here thats all it was. have fun

Dang I should be an armchair mechanic it is much easier than actually getting in the bilge and doing it..

What do i win for callin your overheat problem? A tall boy Pabst Blue Ribbon?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldnt there be hoses running from the manifolds to the risers, all I see is plugs where they normally are.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
Shouldnt there be hoses running from the manifolds to the risers, all I see is plugs where they normally are.
I asked the shop about that and he said they were the old style, something or other, and not used or needed?

$550 for complete cooling system flush/inspection/removal of coolers and replace a $122 high pressure power steering line. Time to get a tab started I suppose.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

Jeebus H Chrimeny....Got the boat back from having the power steering cooler and entire cooling system flushed midweek....went out this morning to get boat ready to try and get to the water the next day or two (raining off and on), fired up the motor, and whalla, water streaming from the power steering cooler. Looks to be coming from around the hose/clamp.

How in the hell did that not get noticed after the repair/service was done? No way it decided to start leaking on the 20 mile trip from the shop to my driveway?

If it were perfect weather and sunny right now, this boat would be parked in dudes front yard.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motoracerx
Jeebus H Chrimeny....Got the boat back from having the power steering cooler and entire cooling system flushed midweek....went out this morning to get boat ready to try and get to the water the next day or two (raining off and on), fired up the motor, and whalla, water streaming from the power steering cooler. Looks to be coming from around the hose/clamp.

How in the hell did that not get noticed after the repair/service was done? No way it decided to start leaking on the 20 mile trip from the shop to my driveway?

If it were perfect weather and sunny right now, this boat would be parked in dudes front yard.
Ouch! Maybe he did one last go round on the clamps after the engine test. Better the driveway than the lake.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Registered

I went back out and took the hose off. Didn't see any tears, clamp seemed fine. Re-clamped it and no leak.

I think he had the clamp too close to the cooler itself where the 1" outlet tube is more chamfered or beveled at the cooler and the clamp wasn't seated squarely on the outlet tube. Make sense? Chamfered/beveled may not be correct terminology.

All is not lost. Gonna have to wait til tomorrow though. I wanna be the lst on the ramp.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

replace that crumpled exhaust if not already done. any time you constrict exhaust flow, you get heat. it's why catalytic convertors work.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, no that isn't how catalytic converters work. Modern cats are not very restrictive at all.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Actually, no that isn't how catalytic converters work. Modern cats are not very restrictive at all.
well it's not how a blender works either...but for the purpose of my response, it made the point that restriction = heat.

i wasn't referring to catalytic convertors only produced between 2012.5 and 2014.25, made only in Cinncinnati and only produced using diluted nutronium from mars either..

cats get hot because they're in the exhaust, they burn ****.

so in answer to your correction, meh.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.