Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying used boats....floor flex? >

Buying used boats....floor flex?

Notices

Buying used boats....floor flex?

Old 08-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used boats....floor flex?

How much flex should be in a cockpit floor of a formula 382? I'm only 170# and the cockpit floor flexed under my weight walking through the boat. The condition of boats trying to pull top dollar amazes me.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can pull up some of the carpet and check it would be worth a look. The used boats I've been on with floor flex had a wet floor. Not too hard to fix if that is all that is wet or it just needs some extra support.

Last edited by Deanrw3; 08-24-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends, my 292 always had a little and I bought it new.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an older Formula, '86 272 SR1. It too had a very flexible cockpit floor, so much so that I thought perhaps it had rot in the wood on the bottom of the floor. I was actually embarrassed when friends walked on it. So, last winter I pulled the bolsters and floor to investigate and correct whatever was wrong. To my amazement, I found a very dry and well preserved (no rot at all) Formula factory original design/manufacturing blunder, to say the least. What they had done was use 1/2" plywood on the underside of the floor and used a chop gun to glass it to the bottom of the floor, which I suppose if enough chop glass was used it may have been ok but the glass was sparce. The chop situation was nothing compared to the way the plywood was used...the wood was two separated pieces layed down lengthwise with the seam down the center of the floor front to rear! They built a floor with absolutely no support right where every passenger either walks and/or stands in the boat! I still laugh to myself when I think about how beautifully done the outside of the boat is finished and how screwed up some of the fiberglass workmanship is below decks. The ticket on my boat in '86 was in the area of $65k and the floor had to be flexing bad since day one...and someone still came off that kind of coin to buy it! Anyway, I rebuilt the floor the way I think Formula should have done it originally and it is a stout peice now.
My point with all of this is it may just be the way it was built. I don't know if that helps you any but that's my Formula flexible floor story.