Diesel Hustler 40 in classifieds >

Diesel Hustler 40 in classifieds

Notices

Diesel Hustler 40 in classifieds

Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your right pstori I missed that it where the ly 's as there s also one arround whit lp 's in it
But those bravo drives have a hard time and the stern is quite heavy whit triple ly

Originally Posted by pstorti
Those engines are 6LY should be 370hp they are larger displacement than the 6LP (315hp) that my boat has. The 6LY became a 440hp motor and currently it is 480HP. So engine wise they should be fine I have had zero problems with my engines, the LY makes more torque than the LP but that boat has been around for a while so it seems like the drives are holding up ok. Have it surveyed and have the engines inspected by somebody who knows what they are doing.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Freshwater frobe
I'm familiar with this hull but just curious if anyone has a good guess on the fast cruise his boat will run at ? ( I know it's not going to be a rocket ship ) the price dropped since it was listed awhile back & I may be interested in this boat ...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o51746-en.html
From the ad: Top Speed 70's, Cruising Speed 65
Old 08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have to guess just call the guy, ask what pitch props, you know the rpm's the engine should run and ask what gears? If that wasn't mentioned they have to be 1.5 or 1.36 so do the math at zero slip and estimate how much less speed for slip. If you are considering the boat a call or email should answer your question?

If I were to guess not more than 62-65 mph top fast cruise 50-54mph
Old 08-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right Habana Joe & I plan on getting in touch with him this week ..... I'm not definitely set on buying it but I like the old 40 hustlers & the price seems fair . I threw it out here & got great advice so far , you never know if someone here knows the boat OSO members have surprised me in the past with knowledge on boats for sale . I'm looking for second boat with some creature comforts good for weekend overnight trips , not so much top speed or want to get into for to much cash ( I'm not going the cruiser route ) I'm sticking with a deep V that I can keep on the trailer & dump it in on the weekends . The boat isn't listed with a trailer so that's additional money but the diesels sound reliable & efficient for 3day weekends & a cruise around 45 would be fine with me. We all know the deal with bravos & HP , torque & heavy boats , but I can't see why they wouldn't survive if you don't beat the crap out of them . We do a two week trip through the Erie canal & st lawerence back down the Champlain every year & 90% of that trip is just chugging along at 10 mph & I think it would be cool to just putt along on the center motor when I could at only a few gallons an hour . So basically just looking for something that can still cruise decent in the canal trips and inter coastal runs through NJ & that boat looks like a good deal if it's in decent shape . Last time it was posted it was in florida & after I contact Bill if it sounds good I will fly down & check it out , let you all in the next week or so . Thanks again for any advice so far from everyone
Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o51746-en.html
From the ad: Top Speed 70's, Cruising Speed 65
Your really comparing a surface drive boat to a bravo boat?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by djkool99usa
Your really comparing a surface drive boat to a bravo boat?
No at all man , don't know where you got that idea ? I've been boating & had many boats over the past 25 years . Believe it or not maybe I'm old school ? But we still enjoy cruising up & down the hudson heading out into the ocean off New Jersey & Long Island & weekends BBQing & sleeping on the hook . For me it's not about top speed & running fast anymore . Wish I could afford big diesels & ASD 8's but I'm just a working man & I like to boat as much as possible & everything gets the hell beat out of it out there . All I was saying is that I would think the bravos would hold up if you aren't hammering them to death . I'm not a big fan of the bravos never been , but I don't have much choice for the dough I have to spend & the two times I have been in an older hustler 40 , once in the sound in some snotty water she cut through it really nice at a slow cruise I thought anyway . Just my two cents
Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Sry djkool99usa I miss read who that was directed to & thanks for any help , ides are all I'm looking for here no bickering on this post my post ok LOL . I think Jupiter sensation is only trying to help just like you are . Hopefully someone here knows this boat & right now I'm just kicking tires or hulls at this point , got all winter to find what I'm looking for & I'm in no rush this time of year .
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

:-)

Last edited by djkool99usa; 08-24-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Freshwater frobe got the mistake :-)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Ah heck that's a surface drive boat... Better jump on it before I do then.

Looks like a very nice boat that would run all the big lakes with ease.