Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Many Thanks to Performance Boat Center at LOTO!! >

Many Thanks to Performance Boat Center at LOTO!!

Notices

Many Thanks to Performance Boat Center at LOTO!!

Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many Thanks to Performance Boat Center at LOTO!!

To say I had a little bad luck at LOTO this year would be putting it mildly. Within 5 minutes of launching my boat last Wednesday, I broke a prop shaft and a brand new Mercury 1200 horse prop sank to the bottom of the lake. I limped over to Camden on the Lake where I was staying, parked the boat, and began the process of finding a prop shaft, number six tools, a place to work on the boat, and a guy to install it all. The performance boat community being what it is, literally dozens of friends made calls and helped to line all these things up. By Thursday morning, I had #6 parts on the way and Vern Gilbert from West Coast Drive Service volunteered to do the install. Several of my friends got a hold of Brett at Performance Boat Center and he graciously agreed to let the install take place at his facility. He also made all the number six tools available since Vern didn't have everything needed to change out a prop shaft.

We brought the boat to Performnace Boat Center Friday morning. The parts were already there and Vern made quick work of the install, getting it removed and replaced in an hour. I thought we were home free with time for a little prop testing prior to the Shootout on Saturday. We backed the boat into the water and when we fired it up, we had another issue. A lifter had failed. A quick call to Bob Smith and repair parts and an installer were arranged for Saturday morning. Once again, Brett and his crew graciously agreed to let us use his facility for this second repair. We left the boat in the shop overnight and returned Saturday morning for the second repair.

On Saturday, Bob ran into a few issues with parts and had to send his man back to Joplin to fetch a different set of lifters. At a six hour round trip, this meant that we needed to leave the boat overnight again at Performance. Brett allowed Bob to work on the boat well into Saturday night and we returned - once again - on Sunday morning to set the timing and head over to the Shootout for Sunday's run. As it turns out, the motor still had issues and my run (single) on Sunday was not ideal. But that's another story.

No one likes the friend that shows up to your house that you can't seem to get rid of. And even though that's what we were turning into, Brett and the entire staff were extremely helpful and cheerful. Never once did they grow impatient with our situation. We were treated like paying customers the whole time we were there. We came and went as needed. We used their tools, we used their shop supplies, and we took a work bay for 3 days. AJ, Andy, and all the rest of his crew gave us the tools and supplies we needed when we needed them and constantly asked us how they could help us. And at the end of this entire saga, Brett would not accept a penny!!!

What do you say about an outfit like that? I'm from out of town so it's not like I can bring my boat there for service like a regular customer. I'm not going to contribute to the financial succes of the business. And they could have told me it was $200 a night to store the boat and I would have gladly paid it. It would have been a huge favor even if charged for.

Needless to say I am super impressed and thankful to the entire staff at Performance Boat Center. They took a bad situation and - along with Vern Gilbert from West Coast Drive Service - made it almost salvageable. I can't thank any of them enough and will spread the word about PBC to anyone that will listen. Thanks again to the entire crew
Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

You are welcome, Garth. We were happy to help where we could. We had our plates full getting many other customers ready, but had extra room and tools for your repairs. It was a pleasure meeting you guys!! See you next year, if not sooner!!

Brett

Performance Boat Center
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CoolSpot

What do you say about an outfit like that? I'm from out of town so it's not like I can bring my boat there for service like a regular customer. I'm not going to contribute to the financial succes of the business.

I think you just did contribute to their financial success.. Telling other people of their generous actions goes a long way with free advertising and character representation. I am sure others who are in that area or pass through will be more than happy to patronize them after reading your post.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BrettM
You are welcome, Garth. We were happy to help where we could. We had our plates full getting many other customers ready, but had extra room and tools for your repairs. It was a pleasure meeting you guys!! See you next year, if not sooner!!

Brett

Performance Boat Center
Yes, your shop was extremely busy and you accomodated us by moving things around to get your "real" customers taken care of. I shouldn't have left that out.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Registered

Garth,

It was great to meet you! Sorry that you ran into so many problems while you were at the lake! We were glad to help out a fellow performance boat in anyway we could.

AJ

Performance Boat Center
Old 08-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
Garth,

It was great to meet you! Sorry that you ran into so many problems while you were at the lake! We were glad to help out a fellow performance boat in anyway we could.

AJ

Performance Boat Center
Well, you could put on a clinic for how to help and there is no doubt that you were glad to do it. I really appreciate your help and the attitude of you and your crew.

The whole place and everyone in it is a real class act!!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I myself have never had any work done by them, but have heard nothing but great stories very much like yours.

It really is too bad there isn't a place like that at one of the other powerboat capitals of the world, Cumberland. (hint, hint)

While there are several well respected service shops around the lake, not one of them gets the praise and respect as PBC.

Once again, terrific story, makes you feel good that their are still people out there willing to help at the drop of a hat, all without seeing dollar signs light up at the misfortunes of others.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

Well, you could put on a clinic for how to help and there is no doubt that you were glad to do it. I really appreciate your help and the attitude of you and your crew.

Thanks so much! I will tell the guys in the shop!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Second that. Even though I don't have a boat, Brett and Mark are some of the best folks I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

It was good to see you again, Garth. I have something to add to your story, as I was worried that I wouldn't get any shots of you because of the mechanical issues.
I was in my usual spot at the bottom of the radar bluff on Sunday morning waiting for the runs to start.
One of the patrol boats comes over and tells me I have to move because of 'safety issues'. Needless to say, I was a bit more than pizzed at the time.
So, me being me- I just went back into the bushes a ways and waited for the first run, then came out and shot it.

Then David of Lake Shots came down and while we're standing there, another 'person with authority' comes over and tells us there will be no racing until we move.

So we did.

Anyway, I am glad you got to make a run and very glad you were first in line.
I suspect it may be the last shot I get from that perch.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

And i thought i had a bad weekend! Glad they got you back on the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.