Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should I Get In The Boat Building Business? >

Should I Get In The Boat Building Business?

Notices

Should I Get In The Boat Building Business?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Should I Get In The Boat Building Business?

This ad has been running for quite some time:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bod/4625052763.html

Says he has the 28 Cigarette mold and others. He is on Corona, CA just up the freeway from me.

Could he really have the original Cigarette mold?

It would be cool to pop out some 28 Cig's but truth be told, I have zero experience or knowledge about layup hulls.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sy (spelling) the owner of Commander Boats called me thru the grapevine about 4 months ago wanting to know if I knew anyone looking to by some boat molds. He wanted to see if I wanted the 28 Cig mold or anyone that would. IMO building new boats in todays market is a losing investment to produce for the average to above average boat buying person(s). It seems just the high end new stuff sells and some new models of CC boats plus a ton of Pontoon boats and about 2 or 3 wakeboard boat brands, (Malibu, Mastercraft).

Thinking who really is kickin in the V hull glass market would be Yamaha jet drive boats and for the sportboat V hull I/O side maybe Sunsation and Shockwave who has build the most lately but not setting sales records for the not extreme rich boat buyer. I really can not think of any v- hull Rec / family or sportboat manufacturer who is knocking them dead with boat sales. Just my 2c

Last edited by BUP; 08-30-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

people who have years of experience and already own the molds and already have the workforce set up and running can't stay in business building and selling boats...
Old 08-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Sy (spelling) the owner of Commander Boats called me thru the grapevine about 4 months ago wanting to know if I knew anyone looking to by some boat molds. He wanted to see if I wanted the 28 Cig mold or anyone that would. IMO building new boats in todays market is a losing investment to produce for the average to above average boat buying person(s). It seems just the high end new stuff sells and some new models of CC boats plus a ton of Pontoon boats and about 2 or 3 wakeboard boat brands, (Malibu, Mastercraft).

Thinking who really is kickin in the V hull glass market would be Yamaha jet drive boats and for the sportboat V hull I/O side maybe Sunsation and Shockwave who has build the most lately but not setting sales records for the not extreme rich boat buyer. I really can not think of any v- hull Rec / family or sportboat manufacturer who is knocking them dead with boat sales. Just my 2c
Lotsa Sea Rays here in Houston area.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

Sunsation has been building mostly CC's......recently they built a 32 w/565s but I can't think of another performance I/O built in recent months.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh

Says he has the 28 Cigarette mold and others. He is on Corona, CA just up the freeway from me.

It would be cool to pop out some 28 Cig's but truth be told, I have zero experience or knowledge about layup hulls.
How to make a small fortune in the boat business?.......................................St art with a large one!

When veterans builders can't make it happen, why would you think you could?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Thought Sunsation built 2 or 3 - 288's and couple of 32's and one 36 this year - maybe it was last year. Also Sea Ray family Rec boats sales (not Cruisers ) are off 75% from their best selling years. Just saying.

V hull glass I/O's is way down across the board.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh

Stick with the cars!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM
BUP
Banned

here is the lastest data that I have from the top 27 states where boats sales somewhat see #'s for the end of MAY 2014.

Glass I/O & inboard 14 ft thru 30 ft sold 4,688 new boats. last year sametime sale were 5,272 for a 11.2 % decrease in these sales. Millions of boaters in the USA and 99% all states have their boatshows done with before May.

4,688 new boat sales 14 - 30 ft counting for I/O's and inboards from Jan 1 thru May 31, 2014 and that's it. keep in mind glass Deckboats are included in this as well.

Wakeboard boats sold 2,374 new boats from Jan 1 thru May 31, 2014. No far off from 14 - 30ft I/O's & inboards. Wakeboard boats size range is mostly 20 to 24 ft compare to 14 thru 30 - I/Os & Inboards. Wakeboards boats sales had a 12.8 increase compared to sametime last year #'s of 2,104 of new boat sales.

Really not worth doing sterndrives any more for those manufacturers. Wonder what Volvo Penta thinks because they do not have outboards to sell but they are huge in the overseas market for marine diesels.

Last edited by BUP; 08-30-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Stick with the cars!
I can barely make any money building cars!

Yeah, I really have no desire to get into the boat building business, nor do I have the knowledge. I was more just interested about the 28 Cigarette mold having once owned a 28 Cig. Was wondering if it was really the Cig mold and how it came to be in So Cal. As a historic boat enthusiast I hate to see it just wasting away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.