My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours

Notices

My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours

Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PRO PAINTER
Sorry I missed you at the service Tim. Hopefully get to meet in Key West?
No Key West for me... Hopefully another time....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running from Sunshine Key to Key West with Bob and Mike in XXX and my crew on Freedom US1. It was a blast and we BSed and laughed about that run that evening an got to know each other better and all agreed we loved running the crap out of boats!! I have to smile every time I think of Mike if it was discussing boating or talking to him on the phone about business. We always had a positive fun conversation. I sure miss Mike. Jim
Old 09-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquidator I

Jacqueline and I had the good fortune to meet Mike and Shonda and many of the guys when we purchased the original Liquidator from the shop following its trade by a former owner. We both commented afterward that we felt like we were treated like we were there to take delivery of the new SV52 that was receiving its last wet sanding as opposed to a (then) 12 year old hull! Mike was not keen to take her for sea trial because of a noise in the port engine so Jac and I climbed right in with the guys as they tore it down and identified a broken lifter (BTW - Mike had a very good feel for that engine - it blew less than 10 hours later!!! She now has a nice set buit by Dean Gellner). We both had a good laugh when I looked back at the rooster tail only to have the wind rip my hat, goggles, and glasses off! I remember seeing the framed and matted pages from an article about Liquidator hanging outside his office and his unwillingness to part with it as part of the deal. Jacqueline and I had been wresteling with whether to have her re-painted in a modern scheme and were discussing that issue during the lunch stop for the charity Burning River Power Festival we hosted when we heard the terrible news of the crash. As a tribute to the man and his vision, both of which the offshore community will miss dearly, we've decided to restore her in her original paint scheme so that we and all who knew her in connection with Mike might remember him when they see her.

With great sympathy for Shonda and all Mike's family, boating or otherwise.

David & Jacqueline Black
Attached Thumbnails My Mike Fiore Story.....let's share yours-photo-4-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by DucBoy
As a tribute to the man and his vision, both of which the offshore community will miss dearly, we've decided to restore her in her original paint scheme so that we and all who knew her in connection with Mike might remember him when they see her.

With great sympathy for Shonda and all Mike's family, boating or otherwise.

David & Jacqueline Black
That's great to hear !!!

Old 09-12-2014, 07:38 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

An old image from back in the day ....

Old 09-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Registered

Since I only got to paint for him and know him for only the last few months, it really cool hearing these stories. All they're all confirmation that he's been that same guy since day one. Can't thank you all enough for sharing your stories
Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

I was asked to post this on behalf of John Haggin

This is my Mike Fiore Story:

Mike was an extraordinary man. There are so many within the boating community who are deeply mourning his passing as his was a life of passion, excellence and inspiration that has touched so many. My heart is heavy as I think of Mike and the influence he had in my life.

I bought my “First Girl”, the 51' Outerlimits from Mike Fiore in 2005 which marked the beginning of AMF/Miss GEICO Racing.

Early In 2005, I was in Dania Beach where I first saw the 51’ Outerlimits known as Animal House. I couldn’t help being mesmerized by the looks and beauty of her sleek design and brilliant paint scheme. After seeing the cabin, features and quality workmanship I told the owner, Bruce Bookbinder that if he brought the boat to Sarasota for the poker run and my then fiancé and I enjoyed it, that I would buy it. Bruce brought the dream team to Sarasota - Mike and Paul Fiore. We set out to see what she could do with Paul on the throttles determined to give me the ride of my life – and that he did! What a ride we had as it easily ran 113mph with Mercury 1200hp Sterling’s from day one. We had one helluva day on the water and won the card hand. But, the true adrenaline rush was meeting the Fiore’s and the camaraderie that we shared. Mike told me so much about the design and specifications of the boat and you could see the passion and pride he put into producing such a high quality luxury performance sport yacht. It was there that I fell in love with my “First Girl” and gladly wrote the check.

Mike and I talked a lot about the camaraderie amongst performance boaters and it further inspired me to follow the footsteps of my father and use the OL for offshore racing. The Fiore’s were true professionals and the weekend was one that I will always remember. I also remember Joyce sternly telling me how much time and work she put into the interior (it is still pristine) as they listened to me talk about turning it into a race boat. Not quite what they Intended this luxury performance sport yacht to do, but it did it so well. I’m sure they all thought I was crazy, but crazy comes with the territory. I also met Arruda that weekend and decided to rig this beauty with a set of 1,340-hp Lycoming T53 marine turbines.

My OL became the first AMF Offshore Racing boat and from there, it was literally off to the races. AMF was established to contribute to powerboat racing and to unite the sport and the OL was the star of the show everywhere she went. I feel it is important to acknowledge that Mike’s passion, quality craftsmanship, and love for the camaraderie contributed significantly to my part in taking offshore racing to a new level.

Scotty B was brought on board as Race Director and driver. Adding to the crew was a man with speed and turbine experience, Ken Warby, who holds the World Water Speed Record at 317.6 mph. We ran the OL at the Lake of the Ozarks Shoot Out with Ken Warby and set the Performance Yacht Kilo record at 122 mph. Not bad for a 20,000lb Luxury Performance Yacht!!! A few months later, we broke that record with 126 mph during an APBA sanctioned Kilo in Crescent City and continued breaking records all over the country and capturing attention everywhere she went. It was the success of the AMF Outerlimits that helped secure the GEICO sponsorship in 2007. The AMF Outerlimits is "A Class Act Boat,” that ran numerous record runs and offshore races and launched my career into Offshore Powerboat Racing with AMF Offshore Racing and what has become 7 time World Champion Miss GEICO Racing.

I cannot thank Paul and Mike enough for their time and effort inspiring and helping me become successful enough to get the GEICO sponsorship, and for my sponsor to be so impressed with the Outerlimits wins that they continue sponsoring the team to this day!! Even though I have retired from offshore racing, the AMF Outerlimits is the boat that I have kept. I thank Mike Fiore for his professionalism, for what it has contributed to the entire sport of offshore racing, the camaraderie and what it has meant to me.

One of my favorite quotes is, “What we do in life, echoes for eternity” and without a doubt Mike’s professionalism, passion, and inspiration will forever leave his legacy deeply embedded within us all.

My deepest sympathies go to the family and loved ones. My prayers are with you all during this difficult time. May the outpouring of love you have received since Mike’s passing serve as a reminder of how much he was loved and respected by all who knew him.

Godspeed, my friend.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Fred and Tim hull #1 was splashed off Scott L from NJ 32 Hustler and #1 went to Scott and he kept it White and on the transom it had a sticker from the factory Mike Fiore 37