Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening? >

Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?

Notices

Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never gives up does he? ^^^^
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Had both. Fountain.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fountain will be faster prob by 10 mph.

Baja will have better ride in rough due to added wet surface. My 33ol and a friend 35 fountain are more comparable to wetted surface. He is faster, but we have a lot more room in cockpit and cuddy for my family (w/ 2 small kids)

If it were just the wife and I, I would have a prob have fountain for speed factor and looks.

With Family/friends/kids, the Baja wins hands down. Has enough room for a second set of bolsters or when everybody decides to stand up, you can still move around.

Cruise speeds are close to same for both boats (50+), so wot speed is <5% of our boating anyway. I have also never had anything break or heard any rattles etc. when we are going thru rough water at speed. (1-3s @ 45-50) never had any complaints as she always feels solid.

Both are good boats for what they both represent. I wanted a fountain before my 33ol, but room between the bolsters and bench on the 35 fountain were about the same as my 25ol.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Smitty
If you foresee yourself (and family?) spending hours IN the boat, the Baja wins hands down. Fountain is faster w/same power. As with buying a new car or truck, test drive them both and imagine yourself "in the boat" along with your other decision maker. Good luck with this challenge
Well the decision making is all up to me lol. I'm still a college student, and will have it on the lakes here and maybe trailer to ozarks, but mostly I'll just have a few friends and girlfriends on it. Not looking for a party boat. As for Florida, if it has the fuel I was thinking about making the run from the miamia to nasau, and maybe from key west to the dry tortugas. But other than that it would be from marathon to key west for a day and maybe up to miami or some nice restaraunts on the water near docks.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dcazarky
Well the decision making is all up to me lol. I'm still a college student, and will have it on the lakes here and maybe trailer to ozarks, but mostly I'll just have a few friends and girlfriends on it. Not looking for a party boat. As for Florida, if it has the fuel I was thinking about making the run from the miamia to nasau, and maybe from key west to the dry tortugas. But other than that it would be from marathon to key west for a day and maybe up to miami or some nice restaraunts on the water near docks.
You should have mentioned that you were a college student earlier. If that's the case Baja all the way. There is plenty of room for beer funnels and gas powered blenders not to mention the cabin can fit a whole sorority. And with the money you save you you can "Make it Rain" at strip clubs!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Registered

research delamination that may make a difference in your decision
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I owned a 35 Fountain for 7 years, and spent a lot of time in a 36 Baja...and basically I'd just second what's been said here. Baja is a much bigger boat...period. I was really impressed with it in general...solid hull, huge cabin, lots of storage, drives were DEEP, rode great in both Lake Michigan and the Ozarks. The Fountain was faster with the same power, had a lot less storage and cabin space, but was WAAAAY more fun to drive. YMMV.

Here's a pic of the two side by side...you can see the Baja is much taller compared to the Fountain...

Overhead shot...the Baja is to the port of the Fountain...
Attached Thumbnails Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?-2007boating-026.jpg   Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?-101218playpen.jpg  
Old 09-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I owned a 35 Fountain for 7 years, and spent a lot of time in a 36 Baja...and basically I'd just second what's been said here. Baja is a much bigger boat...period. I was really impressed with it in general...solid hull, huge cabin, lots of storage, drives were DEEP, rode great in both Lake Michigan and the Ozarks. The Fountain was faster with the same power, had a lot less storage and cabin space, but was WAAAAY more fun to drive. YMMV.

Here's a pic of the two side by side...you can see the Baja is much taller compared to the Fountain...

Overhead shot...the Baja is to the port of the Fountain...
Hey 2 of my previous boats in the same pic! 40 Formula and 40 Excalibur.

I agree with the above statements. 36 Outlaw will be a larger boat, with more room. Fountain will be faster, easier to tow, and be more sports car like.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Just look at the two and compare quality ,fit , finish, and overall condition (overall hours and motor condition)
The years are the same though condition can vary vastly between the two.
Then compare prices between the two.( yes.. the fountain has many quality advantages,but how the boat is being used says everything),
I can not stress how much the overall condition between the two will dictate how well you did on your purchase.

And lastly...AND MOST IMPORTANTLY..... which boat does your girl like the best,,, and how cool does the boat look as you arrive in it !

Welcome to powerboating.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

As much as I sometimes miss the room of my 36 Baja, I could simply never go back. Early 80's bottom technology. Worst wiring in the industry. Terrible rough water ride for the size. People will argue with me, but I would rather be in a 35 fountain (much smaller) in the rough than the 36 OL. The attitude of the boat is easy to adjust on the Fountain, and the Baja pops the nose where the fountain flies flat and level. The back seat in my 36 (bolster style) was held to the firewall with plastic screw inserts. Many panels were just wood screwed into glass where fountain through bolts. The headliner in the 36 OL fell down after 3 years, the construction was comical.

Now.....in my single days I once brought out 13 girls on the 36 OL, there is that much room. So, like stated above, if you are the only one in your group with a boat (college) and plan to bring people (chics I hope) out a lot, the Baja may be a better choice.

Pros and Cons -

Trailering, launching - 35, lighter smaller, less truck
Room- Baja
Statement- Fountain
Construction quality- Fountain
Speed - Fountain
Bling- Baja if it has Mcbolsters and Monster gauges (many do)
Handling, ride - Fountain
Ease of driving, newbie - Baja
Engine access- Fountain
Resale - Fountain
Molded Parts availably - Fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.