Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening? >

Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?

Notices

Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I used to own a Checkmate, simular to Baja, liked it but after owning 4 Fountains, it is like, what kind of car do you own. A new Mercedes??? Or a used Bentley??? A used Bentley is still a Bentley. You own a Baja?? Or you own a FOUNTAIN? Big difference.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baja's are like Mustangs, every ******* has one
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcazarky
I know there is a boatload of differences, no pun intended.. ha? Between the two. So I'm going to break down some questions to differentiate what I believe makes it a better boat. And then you can go onto your opinionated area of expertise and try to sell me on the matter lol. Thanks

Which one excels in each area? The ~2000 Baja 36 Outlaw, or the ~2000 Fountain 35 Lightning. All standard of course.

In addition to our local watering hole, Kentucky lake, I will be frequenting the florida key with it where I vacation, so please add this into the factor for the overall as the water is more than likely, barring a catastrophe, always rougher especially getting out there.

Handling?
Ride?
Speed?

Also the quality of a boat, I know everyone is very opinionated but you can't argue the FACT that some boat brands are just flat out cheaply, and I mean not quality, built as others. Like say Silverton and Bayliner are less quality as compared to a Carver or Sea Ray in the motor yacht world. Sure they both get the job done on a day to day basis, but while your Ford is on the racks at your dealership, my Chevy is out tearing it up on the course.

Thanks!
Uh dude, not to hijack but my wife's 2001 Ford Expedition has 212K miles and drives like the day it was born. Course, so does my 2001 Yukon XL with101K.

Like a few others I have owned both brands. I kept the Fountain now for 7 years if that tells you anything. But honestly my 2004 Baja 33 Outlaw was probably the best starter boat I could have gotten. Graphics were excellent, factory Polk/MoMo stereo with twin 10" subwoofers was good, the 496HOs never skipped a beat, the boat was extremely easy to handle and dock, and yes plenty of room with a decent stabbin cabin. I did not notice issues of inferior build quality when I had it but my 42 Fountain is much more solid. Now, how much performance driving will you do vs. bringing out the girls? They will prob be happier on the more roomy Baja. Both boats are in our boat club here and the 36 Baja does better at cruising speed in the moderate rough. Remember a 36 Baja is a splash of a 35 'Cigarette Mistress.

Last edited by On Time; 09-03-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcazarky
I know there is a boatload of differences, no pun intended.. ha? Between the two. So I'm going to break down some questions to differentiate what I believe makes it a better boat. And then you can go onto your opinionated area of expertise and try to sell me on the matter lol. Thanks

Which one excels in each area? The ~2000 Baja 36 Outlaw, or the ~2000 Fountain 35 Lightning. All standard of course.

In addition to our local watering hole, Kentucky lake, I will be frequenting the florida key with it where I vacation, so please add this into the factor for the overall as the water is more than likely, barring a catastrophe, always rougher especially getting out there.

Handling?
Ride?
Speed?

Also the quality of a boat, I know everyone is very opinionated but you can't argue the FACT that some boat brands are just flat out cheaply, and I mean not quality, built as others. Like say Silverton and Bayliner are less quality as compared to a Carver or Sea Ray in the motor yacht world. Sure they both get the job done on a day to day basis, but while your Ford is on the racks at your dealership, my Chevy is out tearing it up on the course.

Thanks!

I had a 29 outlaw for 5 years with no problems now have a 36 for 3 years no problems. I've done a lot of research on these boats and there tanks. They have balsa core hulls, sides and decks (stronger than foam). The huge stringers are actually beams and glassed over. The hull and deck are plexus bonded together then thru bolted and screwed together. The boat is great in the rough stuff and never had anything come apart.
They use the same high end aftermarket parts as the big guys such as gauges, shifters, electric bolsters, hydraulic steering, drives, trim tabs, ECT.
Pros
Huge cabin and cockpit
Good headroom in cabin
Heat and a/c, ref, micor, tv, vacuflush toilet, sink, 2 sofas, and big v berth
Great rough water ride to max speed of 65 with stock 502mpi
Deep drives and freeboard for the rough stuff
Resale the same or close to other brands pre 2001

Cons
Need big power to go faster
Old 09-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
It's like this. 60mph or 90mph. Dudes or skanks.

That should get this one off the ground
That's just to damn funny! I always wondered why I never got the chics with my Ford Pinto and now my Baja..... I can't stop laughing.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simply put, it falls back on what style boating you want to do. If you like to ride around with numerous passengers, big coolers and the relax at the beach all day baja's are the better choice.If your more into the performance, race style boating fountain is the only way to go. its all just personal preference
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Remember a 36 Baja is a splash of a 35 'Cigarette Mistress.
Well, that explains why they are so slow.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Registered

I agree with most of the comparisons here. The Baja will have more speed and is better for hanging out on for extended amounts of time. But, it will be heavier, slower and will not have as good of build quality from the factory as the Fountain . Not to say its garbage like some might elude too. Ive run my36 Outlaw on the atlantic and gulf. Just ran it recently on Lake Erie and got to experience some of the snot Erie throws at people. The Fountain will be faster with the same power. But, will be smaller in size on the outside along with the inside.

Pay attention to the condition of what ever boats you are looking at. If one was taken care of and the other wasn't, buy the one in better condition. If a boat is abused it doesn't matter how well it was built from the factory. Also, get a survey...
Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by outlw36
I had a 29 outlaw for 5 years with no problems now have a 36 for 3 years no problems. I've done a lot of research on these boats and there tanks. They have balsa core hulls, sides and decks (stronger than foam). The huge stringers are actually beams and glassed over. The hull and deck are plexus bonded together then thru bolted and screwed together. The boat is great in the rough stuff and never had anything come apart.
They use the same high end aftermarket parts as the big guys such as gauges, shifters, electric bolsters, hydraulic steering, drives, trim tabs, ECT.
Pros
Huge cabin and cockpit
Good headroom in cabin
Heat and a/c, ref, micor, tv, vacuflush toilet, sink, 2 sofas, and big v berth
Great rough water ride to max speed of 65 with stock 502mpi
Deep drives and freeboard for the rough stuff
Resale the same or close to other brands pre 2001

Cons
Need big power to go faster
Thanks for that, I've never been on one so this helps those of us that never have understand. By the way members here talk about them you'd be surprised they float but clearly not the case.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

There are a lot of people who will rag on Bajas because they were not custom built, one order at a time like most of the other high end boats. But, they do open that door for people who want a go fast but have a budget to stick to. Not to mention, I think we had just as much fun on my Baja at this year's Buffalo Poker Run as anybody on their more expensive and custom boat. Admittedly, the quality might not be at the same level, but its still the same hardware and if it gets people out on the water, isn't that the point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.