Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31756-budweiser-bends-over-callan-marine-buys-cover-powerboat.html)

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 03:23 PM

Just Sent Also

I also sent a link to this page to The Lake Sun Leader at [email protected] to see if they were interested in what the spectators thought of the outcome of the Shootout.

283CHECK 08-27-2002 03:28 PM

Uh, you and I think way too much alike!! I thinkin about startin in on Topsiders:mad: :D

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 03:32 PM

Originally posted by 283CHECK
Uh, you and I think way too much alike!! I thinkin about startin in on Topsiders:mad: :D
:D :D :D :D

T2x 08-27-2002 03:38 PM

Welcome to racing 101. Typically:

1. A bunch of guys get together and arrange a local race, shootout, rally....whatever.

2. The event is fun and get's some headlines.

3. Some big shot locals go out and buy a bigger faster gizmo and become "King of the Pond".

4. Bigger big shots show up from further away and take the "Title".

5. The event becomes bigger than it had any right to be and the "Title" begins to have far reaching implications, until REALLY big shots get involved.

6. The locals aren't having fun anymore, and the event get's away from them. The loudest complainers are generally the original local big shots, who now are totally outclassed, but who originally rubbed other local yokels noses in their superiority.

7. Decision time....... Are we Bonneville?.......or are we a church social?

This has happened in everything from cub scout pinewood derby cars, to outboard hydro racing, to limited inboard racing, to stock cars, and now to shoot outs.

If you dance with the devil don't complain about the burns on your feet.

T2x

P.S. : Magazine covers (and certain TV shows) are always for sale.......This is not news.

jb 08-27-2002 03:39 PM

so auggie knew what his efforts would get him! He figures he can get a lot of free advertising if he won the shootout. Not a bad investment in my eyes. What is wrong with that.
So the question that should be asked now is......

When is the fastest boat in the shootout not "Top Gun"?

Who cares who put it there.

Then make top gun the fastest piston powered boat, and the turbines exhibition class only.

I bet Auggie would pull out an old Miss bud from the moth balls with the piston power and still smoke everyone!!!
Now that would be cool!
Don Aronow could drive it

LOL

Mrs 283Check 08-27-2002 03:49 PM

Originally posted by jb
so auggie knew what his efforts would get him! He figures he can get a lot of free advertising if he won the shootout. Not a bad investment in my eyes. What is wrong with that.
So the question that should be asked now is......

When is the fastest boat in the shootout not "Top Gun"?

Who cares who put it there.

Then make top gun the fastest piston powered boat, and the turbines exhibition class only.

I bet Auggie would pull out an old Miss bud from the moth balls with the piston power and still smoke everyone!!!
Now that would be cool!
Don Aronow could drive it

LOL

I'm not sure that Miss Bud winning the Shoot Out is the entire point here. I think it has to do more with the special allowances and sudden rule changes that might of assisted in that win.

On the topic of turbine powered boats there was one there "Flash Gordon" and someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looked like it was just somebody's boat. Had an open cockpit on it. He even brought it out and tied it up to watch the races on Sunday.

BK 08-27-2002 03:50 PM

Originally posted by T2x
Welcome to racing 101. Typically:

1. A bunch of guys get together and arrange a local race, shootout, rally....whatever.

2. The event is fun and get's some headlines.

3. Some big shot locals go out and buy a bigger faster gizmo and become "King of the Pond".

4. Bigger big shots show up from further away and take the "Title".

5. The event becomes bigger than it had any right to be and the "Title" begins to have far reaching implications, until REALLY big shots get involved.

6. The locals aren't having fun anymore, and the event get's away from them. The loudest complainers are generally the original local big shots, who now are totally outclassed, but who originally rubbed other local yokels noses in their superiority.

7. Decision time....... Are we Bonneville?.......or are we a church social?

This has happened in everything from cub scout pinewood derby cars, to outboard hydro racing, to limited inboard racing, to stock cars, and now to shoot outs.

If you dance with the devil don't complain about the burns on your feet.

T2x

P.S. : Magazine covers (and certain TV shows) are always for sale.......This is not news.

T2x ~
aka Swami! It took me 40 years to learn this! You are so correct. This same explanation can apply to every event and every club that has ever made it big. To stay big, everyone must deal with some sacrifices along the way. Convincing the members to accept those sacrifices is the key.

Maybe they need to hire Garbrecht :)

jafo 08-27-2002 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by jb
Or Master Tire could bring their's down- no need to take it out of moth balls! They are the only piston to still run the Gold Cup.
Sweet Allison power!

283CHECK 08-27-2002 03:53 PM

First off I was not a competitor, just a spectator. I think(smell the smoke:D )the main issue here is that Miss Bud attempted the standing start on Sat. in a demo and the speed was not there. Then Sunday morning it was anounced that the start would increase from 50 to 500 ft. which proved to help Miss B speed wise(demo btw) but did not appear to help Bacardi or Callan. Once that appeared to be the case Auggie ponied up the money to register to make a competition run. Also it is my understanding that Bacardi and Callan was not making demo runs to test the waters(so to speak)? They arrived as compititors from the get go, Miss B did not.. Again this is my understanding of the events and timelines please correct me if I am wrong. I have nothing wrong with Miss B being crowned topgun if they showed up and played along with anyone else. But to show up and do 3 or 4 demo runs and not like the way it works, then the rules change:confused: make another demo and hey look 190 lets compete? I myself don't think that is fair to Bacardi or Callan and from what I seen while I was there they had a good race goin!!

T2x 08-27-2002 04:14 PM

283.......................Where is it written that life is fair?

BK.......................... If the Bud was there.....Garbrecht can't be far behind

T2x