Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
46' Cig Rough Rider Barrel Roll???? >

46' Cig Rough Rider Barrel Roll????

Notices

46' Cig Rough Rider Barrel Roll????

Old 08-29-2002, 01:46 PM
southshoreu

Lightbulb 46' Cig Rough Rider Barrel Roll????

I READ THE PROVIDENCE JOURNAL ABOUT THAT 2 MEN IN A CIG WERE PITCHED OUT AFTER IT SPUN OUT46' CIG BARREL ROLL???

Old 08-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

THAT'S A BIG BARREL !!!
Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops!!!! Damn I hate when that happens....... That boat is virtually accident proof though....What Happened??????????????
Old 08-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK boys, holster them there OSO troll-whoopin' sticks, looks like this one is legit...

2 men thrown from their boat pulled safely from Greenwich Bay

William Fedarko and John Grynowicki are rescued from the water by other boaters after being thrown from their racing boat as it hit a wake at 45 mph.

08/25/2002

BY ZACHARY R. MIDER
Journal Staff Writer

WARWICK -- Two men on Greenwich Bay are lucky to be alive after a boating accident yesterday, according to a city harbormaster.

The men were thrown from their racing boat when it was hit by a "rogue wake" shortly after noon yesterday.

Since they weren't wearing flotation devices, and they were traveling at about 45 mph when they went over, they were fortunate to escape injury, according to Harbormaster Matthew B. Prendergast.

"Statistically, these guys beat the odds," he said. "They're working on their sixth or seventh lives."

He said the two men were piloting their 43-foot cigarette-type racing boat toward the Brewer Yacht Yard when the accident occurred. When they were about a half mile from shore, Prendergast said, a monster wake from a passing boat caused their boat to list hard to the right, ripping off an engine cover, and throwing pilot William Fedarko and passenger John Grynowicki into the water.

Other boaters saw the accident, Prendergast said, and rescued Fedarko and Grynowicki after about five minutes.

"They just went for an unplanned swim," Prendergast said.

Their boat motored on unmanned, and was brought under control by other boaters. Workers on shore estimated the damage to the boat at $5,000.

The wake was caused by a large cruiser leaving the marina in the other direction, according to Prendergast. He said a frequent problem in the bay is when boaters gun their engines as soon as they pass the "no-wake" mark, leaving large wakes for other boats nearby.

A Department of Environmental Management enforcement officer also responded to the scene, but Prendergast believed no citations were handed out. Travelling 45 mph is the speed limit for that area, he said. Personal flotation devices are not required by law, he said, but he strongly recommends them.
Looks like no life jackets or lanyards
Old 08-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Registered

Could be another case of stepped hull + inexperienced pilot =
Old 08-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Registered

The thing I like is the usual accuracy in reporting - a "43 foot" Cigarette? Hmmm, must be that new math...
Old 08-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Cigarette-Type"

This boat could be anything...Who make a 43'er?
Old 08-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Registered

Ok southshoreu,
I retract my last statement, and deleted it. Itchy trigger finger I guess, I am from detroit afterall...

Are you local to that area, the report doesn't say anything about the boat type, just a 43' cigarette type boat. Have you seen it and verified it was a rough rider? That had to be a hell of a wake to toss them out of that boat! What's the damage to it, $5000 is pretty minor damage, another case telling us what lifejackets, and teathers would have done. It might have just turned into a story you tell your friends that went like this:

Whoa, we flew out
swim over to the boat
that sucked
Yeah it did, lets dry off and go do some more boating...

I almost forgot:

Ahh the saltwaer burns my eye's
Old 08-29-2002, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

I kinda liked your first post - WHAM! Hope it's not permanently gone, we might need it again. Call it the Newbie Sucker Punch!!
Old 08-29-2002, 03:58 PM
southshoreu

I saw the boat on a travel lift with hull damage at greenwich bay marina. Journal miss reported the story. As usual.

Last edited by southshoreu; 08-29-2002 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 46' Cig Rough Rider Barrel Roll????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.