Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Prop size should I look at? >

What Prop size should I look at?

Notices

What Prop size should I look at?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nate.. Call me after 8 PM tonight. The Sonic and the Avanti are virtually identical hulls and I had a 2002 Avanti 33 with 496's. With the 496 HO's I got around 76-78 MPH. With the 08 hull and 525's I get mid to upper 80's with labbed props. I have a few sets you can test if you wish. 28 labbed 28 STNRD and a set of labbed 30's. I had a set of labbed 32's but it was a bit too much under normal use. I could only spin them to WOT if the boat was light, me alone.. lol and med chops to get air. My first guess is a labbed set of 28's YOu can try mine if you wish. Plus, spin your props in. That hull needs a little bow lift. Brat is awesome fixing things.
PS.. BTW.. don't feel alone, I had my cranks stolen once too.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Nate the awesome fl boating season just around the corner, fall.....
Ya I loved it last year in Nov area. Nice in the 70's with sun. Makes for fun days on the water for sure.

Hell we had a Christmas boat ride last year and loved it.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Nate.. Call me after 8 PM tonight. The Sonic and the Avanti are virtually identical hulls and I had a 2002 Avanti 33 with 496's. With the 496 HO's I got around 76-78 MPH. With the 08 hull and 525's I get mid to upper 80's with labbed props. I have a few sets you can test if you wish. 28 labbed 28 STNRD and a set of labbed 30's. I had a set of labbed 32's but it was a bit too much under normal use. I could only spin them to WOT if the boat was light, me alone.. lol and med chops to get air. My first guess is a labbed set of 28's YOu can try mine if you wish. Plus, spin your props in. That hull needs a little bow lift. Brat is awesome fixing things.
Is that true ? Does this hull like them spinning in ? I do notice my bow likes to stay low.....
Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered

In short .. "yes" .. Do a little search on the Avanti, Banana racing hulls and Sonics. Charlie Mac designed the Banana boat, A bit later, Jean Cloud Simon designed a different deck and were racing under the Coyote Beep Beep fame. Same hulls. Then the molds were sold to Sonic, and Avanti, (not sure who got them first off hand) but the hull pretty much remained the same with deck mods. Check your strakes. 5" 4" and 3" (back, toward stern, than you can see you got an "original" Banana hull. ) I had Charlie on my boat several years ago and he also suggested to spin the props in. It does work better.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

I've done more prop testing on my old sonic than I'd care to admit .
The boat is 1-2 mph faster spinning in but it rides very loose and as everyone knows the docking is terrible!!!!!
Right now your prop shaft height is between 6-7 inches below the bottom of the boat which will give a bravo 4 blade prop approx 12% slip on that boat. I believe the WOT of a 496 HO is 5200 rpm. I seriously doubt that you will turn a 30" or even a 28" prop to 5200 with that power. If you are able to turn a 26" bravo prop you'll have a top speed of 73 mph.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Wouldn't spinning in lift the stern? If the boat likes bow lift, Brett at Bblades has a Bravo I 4 blade receipe for Bajas that would probably work well on the Sonic.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by billy boats
The boat is 1-2 mph faster spinning in but it rides very loose and as everyone knows the docking is terrible!!!!!
Right now your prop shaft height is between 6-7 inches below the bottom of the boat which will give a bravo 4 blade prop approx 12% slip on that boat. I believe the WOT of a 496 HO is 5200 rpm. I seriously doubt that you will turn a 30" or even a 28" prop to 5200 with that power. If you are able to turn a 26" bravo prop you'll have a top speed of 73 mph.
Rev limitier should be at 5150 on an HO. WOT RPM range is 4,600 - 5,000 RPM.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by billy boats
Is the docking really that much worse ? I feel like I should give it a shot to see how it feels with more bow lift........
Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Registered

and Nate, sorry for hijacking the thread......but i think it's all good info being shared here.......
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
Is the docking really that much worse ? I feel like I should give it a shot to see how it feels with more bow lift........
I hardly notice ANY difference with the docking issue. However, you can always just use one motor/drive. Boats with singles dock just fine all the time.... don't they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.