Commentary: The Case for Class 6

Notices

Commentary: The Case for Class 6

Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Default Commentary: The Case for Class 6

Offshore racing announcer and speeonthewater.com contributor Mike Yowaiski makes a great case for an under-appreciated offshore racing class, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...se-for-class-6
Old 09-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Kind of like the Old "A" Class, We had the Most boats at every race Back in the early 90's. I recall the start going out Key West Harbor in 1995 with 19 Boats. It was so tight that for about a mile I could literally reach over and Touch the deck of Patrick Sullivans PowerPlay. Then the next year I believe there were even more "A" Class boats. Its a Great starter class and will get you Hooked. I DO NOT Believe in the 70MPH max speed though. In smooth water the fast boats will win, When it gets rough they wont be so fast..It Really is the "One Hour Ride of a Lifetime" Fun Stuff...And semi affordable
Old 09-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Matt,

It has always been my contention that in order to drive a big boat fast - and safely - one really needs to start out in a small, fast boat. Virtually everything that happens in a bigger boat happens in a small boat - except it happens much faster. So if one can drive a small boat at the limit, you're pretty well prepared to try driving something bigger. Class 6 is just the class that offshore racing needs to provide this pathway. So if you ask me, more power to them!

Tom
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Matt,

It has always been my contention that in order to drive a big boat fast - and safely - one really needs to start out in a small, fast boat. Virtually everything that happens in a bigger boat happens in a small boat - except it happens much faster. So if one can drive a small boat at the limit, you're pretty well prepared to try driving something bigger. Class 6 is just the class that offshore racing needs to provide this pathway. So if you ask me, more power to them!

Tom
Very true.....Just like airplanes
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it is a great class with a great group of racers Congrats to Mikey on driving the Maxed Out boat and bringing more exposure to the class. Now that the documented 100 mph boats are out of the class and have moved up, it will be one of the most exciting classes in all offshore. I bet if you ask Scotty B where he had the most shear full out fun and I think he'll tell ya, in his 24' Pantera
Old 09-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Now that the documented 100 mph boats are out of the class
Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

And BTW, don't forget OPA Class 7. It's for 21'-22' outboards and the speed is capped at something like 65 MPH. It's not (yet) as crowded, but the action is wild and wooly just the same. Oh, and the cost is even less than Class 6.