Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan >

Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan

Notices

Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan

Old 08-27-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

You sound as anal as me about bearing service. I have towed over 15,000 miles and only one bearing problem. Going to the ramp at State Dock at Cumberland is a 4 mile slight downhill. The brakes can get real hot. Backed the trailer in and the pads delaminated from the sudden temp change. I always grease up before backing in to help cool the bearings. Lately I have been carrying several jugs of water to cool the brakes and bearings down before greasing so as not to suck water in when they hit the ramp.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Intolerant1

You might be on to somthing. I keep thinking somthing else failed leading to the bearing failure. Why else would the spidle have survived? If a brake shoe broke first, that may have jammed in the hub cracking it and stressing the bearing to the point where it fractured. Even the cylinder shaped bearings that were recovered were undamaged.

Old 08-27-2002, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, that's it. My trailer jammed the brake shoe material between the drum and shoe and locked the wheel up. Did not jam up until the trailer was backed. Did you back up when you put it up for the night? Had to take it apart and clean the obstruction out, vise grip the line and fix it in the parking lot where I bought the new pads. Just let those baby’s cool before quenching them. Put some recycled Mountain Dew or coffee on them if ya hafta! Most show failures are due to quenching and I suspect that the bearings don’t like it either.
Tim T.

Last edited by BadDog; 08-27-2002 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
Sorry to hear about the trailer. Between you and Jafo I'm scared to go Grand Haven this weekend. I may be picking up some spare parts tomorrow.
Dan
Old 08-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris,

If you need any help, let me know. I will be in South Haven this weekend. I could pull it back to Alsip, IL if you want. My boat stays up there. I'm planning to go to the race in Grand Haven. I've read so much good stuff about LOTO and the C.O.P.S. run that I need a race fix.

Roger
Old 08-28-2002, 12:48 AM
Intolerant1

Quite, thanx for the offer but the boat keys are here with me. We noticed a large cruiser at the north side municipal marina that is also named Quite Storm. You have two boats? I think I saw your boat parked near the road leading to the public ramp. Is your place one of the condos along the river with garage underneath? We have talked that one of those would make a nice investment. I may head up to the race for one day as well since I'm going that way. I hope the water is as nice as it was last weekend. Calm and very warm.

Old 08-28-2002, 06:51 AM
Registered

come on up....looks like we may have a little get together after the race...
Old 08-28-2002, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris,

I can only tolerate the aggravation of one boat. That was my boat in the lot. We have unit #12. Stop by anytime. I was in Seattle last weekend. Thats why the lake was calm. Since I'm back, it may be rough. My luck. Hope to see you.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Intolerant1

The trailers done. All new bearings and Buddy Bearing caps. $551. Not bad but between this and the new tires/wheels and getting the brake line that broke three times this year fixed, Im about half way to a new trailer. Now that doesnt seem right!

Old 08-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear about your problems Chris.

There will be several of us from Northpoint going to Grandhaven this weekend if you are interested in meeting us.

Good luck with the surgery. If you need some help with the winterization thing or towing the boat around this fall let me know.

Steve