HP500 Rebuild - Exhaust Question

Notices

HP500 Rebuild - Exhaust Question

Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP500 Rebuild - Exhaust Question

Guys,

I recently blew one of my Merc HP500's in my 33 foot Scarab on Lake Michigan and am going to have Dave Wesseldyke at Wesco Racing Engines rebuild them this offseason. Not exactly sure what happened inside the motors yet (they'll be torn down in the next few weeks), but I'm basically planning on putting in all new parts and doing it right so I don't have problems down the line because I went cheap....

The boat currently has gil exhaust. It's one of the better sounding boats at idle, but isn't loud enough for my taste once you get going. I'd like to change this, but considering I'm going to spend big dollars on the rebuilds, my wife might kill me if I spend tons more on exhaust!!

I'm learning a TON through this site (and through breaking stuff and having to fix them....damn it), but don't know much about exhaust.

Any recommendations? Anything I can do without screwing the bank account that will add some bark to it?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:51 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Turn the pipe's around so they face you. LOL.

You do realize most of the noise heard by your boat are from those not one your boat right ?

If you have no mufflers/baffles installed, all you can do is introduce the water farther downstream in the exhaust......or of course go dry, but that may drive you bezerk along with others not on your boat.

Last edited by SB; 09-06-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by chris21hope
Guys

The boat currently has gil exhaust. It's one of the better sounding boats at idle, but isn't loud enough for my taste once you get going. I'd like to change this,

Any recommendations? Anything I can do without screwing the bank account that will add some bark to it?
to make your exhaust louder,remove the condensation plates between tailpipes and manifolds.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=SB;4183917]Turn the pipe's around so they face you. LOL.

Great idea! My boat has an integrated fiberglass swim platform that directs most of the sound towards the back of the boat, and makes it quieter in the boat. Still, it's not that loud outside the boat. A good example is at 2:40 in this video taken from someone on the pier at Boyne Thunder. When I hammer down, it's not loud enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxvTQQ2QL8
Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
to make your exhaust louder,remove the condensation plates between tailpipes and manifolds.
Thanks - I don't know much about that, and will check into it.