496 riser restrictor plate (or turbolator) removal effects >

496 riser restrictor plate (or turbolator) removal effects

Notices

496 riser restrictor plate (or turbolator) removal effects

Old 09-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 riser restrictor plate (or turbolator) removal effects

I know this topic was beat to death years ago. However, since a number of years have passed, I'm looking for information on whether the iron heads have been effected by condensation by removing the plates. I did see one post on another site where someone mentioned that a number of these heads have been replaced at LOTTO due to removal of the plates. Anyone know anything about this?

I also read that if you have Corsa quick and quiet exhaust or similar it compounds the problem. True?

Last edited by 275Boss; 09-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Sounds like you already answered your question. Most people cant even tell the hp difference in switching to aftermarket exhaust or headers and that is usually the weight savings not from better flow. So I doubt you will notice anything from this. Are you looking for louder sound? Either way from what you said it doesn't sound like the risk is worth the reward. But apparently if it ruins heads it is an easy way to fast track yourself into having to rebuild the top end then you can drop big money on high hp parts. Good luck
Old 09-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LiveFREEorDIE
Sounds like you already answered your question. Most people cant even tell the hp difference in switching to aftermarket exhaust or headers and that is usually the weight savings not from better flow. So I doubt you will notice anything from this. Are you looking for louder sound? Either way from what you said it doesn't sound like the risk is worth the reward. But apparently if it ruins heads it is an easy way to fast track yourself into having to rebuild the top end then you can drop big money on high hp parts. Good luck
I know about the performance gains, minimal if anything. What I'm asking is, have there been any problems with the iron heads now that many who have removed the plates now have had a few years without them. The plates were there to catch condensation and prevent it from going into the heads and rusting the iron valve guides.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Registered

I havent researched it enough past my initial post but I would suggest if they are not out dont take them out. Hope others will chime in. If your engine is stock it is best to keep it that way. Manufacturers make engines to be most reliable and safe primarily for warranty issues so they dont have to fix things on their dime.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave them in or drill holes in them to burn off some steam.. they are designed to get hot and turn the condensation into steam ..
Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember dyno tests of 15hp per motor. The rest I can't help with.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

If you take the restrictor plates off just keep it on the down low, not exactly street legal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9MDswUeYc
Old 09-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say your choice of cam wold be a factor in this but I had bad moisture problems running my engine on the stand without the trblators. I have a larger than stock cam but still pretty mild........ Aluminum 496 exhaust with stock short risers without the turbulators gave me a major milkshake issue! I got a set of the 2" taller risers and put the turbulators back in all is good. I have video of both combo's and it is a little less snappy with the turbulators but hardly noticeable..... I run straight exhaust and my engine sounds like an offshore racer!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I took mine out 6 years ago. No effect other than slightly deeper exhaust sound.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFREEorDIE
If your engine is stock it is best to keep it that way.
^^
Doubt you will notice any measurable gains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.