Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Big thumbs down: Singapore Yacht Club Saugatuk MI (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31774-big-thumbs-down-singapore-yacht-club-saugatuk-mi.html)

Intolerant1 08-27-2002 02:53 PM

Big thumbs down: Singapore Yacht Club Saugatuk MI

I had a very bad experience over the weekend while trying to get lunch in Saugatuk Michigan. I had my inlaws aboard and we ran from South Haven to Saugatuk to get lunch. Having never tied up in Saugatuk I drove up and down the river front between Coral Gables and The Butler (father in laws favorite dining spot) looking for a place to dock.

At the north end I went into a small entrance and saw a sign that read "Singapore Yacht Club paid dockage" There was a spot just large enough to get our 26' boat in. My intention was to find someone and inquire about docking. We tied up and got off the boat at which time we were approached by a gentleman wearing a Singapore Yacht Club shirt. He asked if he could help us with anything. I replied that we wanted to tie up and have lunch. Everthing seemed fine until his next statement. He stated "Do you have a radio on your boat?" I replied that I did and he asked why I hadnt hailed him. I thought this was an unusual way to great a customer but I responded that I had never been here by boat and had no idea who to hail. I saw the sign and tied up to find who to pay. The conversation then went south. He proceeded to chastise me for not calling him on the radio. His behavior and tone of voice were completely out of line. He continued to lecture me as I turned and walked towards my boat. At this point I could see my father in laws blood pressure rising as I could feel my own. I turned and stated that we would be leaving, that he had lost our business and so had the Butler Restaruant. I told him that he had acted like a complete jagoff from the time he had walked up. He then began yelling at me that I had no business coming there if I didnt know proper radio procedures. Quite honestly, I give everyone the benifit of the doubt and at first took this guy for someone who was having a bad day. But I'd had enough at this point. I very calmly asked him for his name and informed him that I would be writing a letter to the Yacht club and to the Butler regarding the way we were treated. I saw that his shirt had the name "Dick" on it and asked if that was in fact his name. He responded that his last name was Christensen (unk. proper spelling) and that he owned the Yacht Club. I told him that just "Dick" described him just fine. His response was "Your the one who's a Dick". Realizing that this was just getting childish, I ignored him as we departed. We found a place nearby where a nice young man came out and tied our boat for us. He greated us with a "Hi, folks, can I help you tie up? The fee is $10." He got a $20.

I hope I get some response to this thread. In this poor economy, I think any service provider should be going the extra mile to make their customers happy. It seems customer service and satisfaction has become rare. I will be sending a letter to the establishments involved. I will also be sending a link to this thread. Maybe they should know that one poorly treated customer can be significant.

If anyone here has had a good or bad experience with Dick Christensen, let me know. If it was just a bad day, maybe his dog died that morning, then I would let this go. We have all had those days. But from what I have heard so far, not only is Dick not the owner of the Yacht Club, this is his usual demeanor.

ApachePete 08-27-2002 03:05 PM

Dick

Yes, Dick is aptly named.

And he doesn't own dick.

Risk Taker 08-27-2002 03:09 PM

Some people justd think they're the King Sh*ts of the world. I wouldn't waste any precious time writing letters. Just blow it off.....it is isn't worth it............:rolleyes: :cool:

32fever 08-27-2002 03:30 PM

Wow, that sucks Intolerant. LIke RT said, probably shouldn't bother wasting time on a letter, but then again, if enough people did then maybe he'd be collecting unemployment (as he is not self-employed:))

But I sure like the food at the Butler. Good food.

Maybe Dick was just mad you didn't pinch his but or something....
(couldn't hold back from the Sausagetuck comment)

If we go there, we'll have to try and avoid them at all costs. Thanks for the warning. ';)

Intolerant1 08-27-2002 03:35 PM

Park at Coral Gables for $10. I was told that Singapore is $20 although we never got that far into the conversation.

Playn 08-27-2002 03:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. What an a$$hole that guy is. Next time just go to Marrow's or Wally's;)

ApachePete 08-27-2002 03:42 PM

Tavern 215 is good, too.

neu-rich 08-27-2002 03:53 PM

Isn't Saugatuk The Gay Capital In Michigan???/ The Name "Dick" Is Just The Brand He Likes......:D :D :D

Quiet Storm 08-27-2002 04:34 PM

I stayed there once before but I must not of run into Dick. The next time I tried to get a slip there they were not answering my radio calls. Finally someone came on and told me they didn't have any. Probably Dick. From his tone I thought he should kiss my (his name goes here). I won't go there again.

KAAMA 08-27-2002 05:06 PM

Why does that have to happen in my home state? But then I'm sure it happens in a lot of nice places.