Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Straight Pipe Or Y Pipe (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31776-straight-pipe-y-pipe.html)

SLINGSHOT 08-27-2002 03:04 PM

Straight Pipe Or Y Pipe

THINKING ABOUT CONVERTING TO Y PIPES TO CLEAN UP AND GET SOME SPACE IN THE ENGINES ROOM

ANY PROS AND CONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

ApachePete 08-27-2002 03:08 PM

Do it!

Incredible sound at WOT, and easier to muffel, too.

Tbonepmp 08-27-2002 03:10 PM

We had Y-pipes on the 47' Apache we had and they definitely free up some space a bit... They will also make the boat much more quiet, but you will obviously lose a little horsepower as a result of the Y-pipe. If you have no noise restrictions / laws... I would say keep the straight pipes and let the big dog's breathe!!!:D :cool:

ApachePete 08-27-2002 03:26 PM

Had Y-pipes on a 41', and didn't lose any speed, because the pipes were 6" in diameter after the Y.
Later changed to CMI Big Tubes with straight pipes: very loud, and very ordinary. And the noise police hated them.

Zero pick up in speed/RPM's.

The sound of Merc 1000Sc's at 6200 RPM's throught Y pipes can only be equalled by Lambo 12's. Listen to FreezeFrame's 1991 Apache Year End Review and you'll see.

Sean 08-27-2002 03:38 PM

Y-Pipes all the way!! The 47 that's at my marina runs a Y-Pipe on the center motor and the sound is unmistakable! A higher pitch than the standard exhaust on the outside motors...plus, it cleans up the transom and engine room alot...good luck!

Mbam 08-27-2002 03:44 PM

Y pipe all the way- the key is the larger diameter of the single pipe as ApachePete says.

ApachePete 08-27-2002 03:53 PM

One 6" diameter pipe will pass more volume than two 4" pipes.
(High school geom was good for something after all.)

Does BAM still have Y pipes and HUGE mufflers?

burtandnancy 08-27-2002 07:51 PM

Y pipes on a twin really have a nice sound that is usually not offensive. But you can't do it on most Bravo set up. You need more space such as provided when you use transmissions. I think you'll find them mostly on Merc's packages which include Speedmasters from #3 thru #6...

SLINGSHOT 08-27-2002 08:56 PM

Originally posted by burtandnancy
Y pipes on a twin really have a nice sound that is usually not offensive. But you can't do it on most Bravo set up. You need more space such as provided when you use transmissions. I think you'll find them mostly on Merc's packages which include Speedmasters from #3 thru #6...

triple 1200's/ #6's

Mbam 08-28-2002 07:36 AM

Pete, actually BAM does not have anything at this moment. Doing a MAJOR re rig. We streched it 18", got rid of the boxes, new stringers, etc. I plan on running the Y pipe exhaust down in the transom notch. Also will put a silent choice type deal on it for out the transom. At the rate I am gong it will be another year at least.