Notices

pig on a spit

Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by paintman
Wholly hell batman! I better get her on this evening then...I should have clarified to that the "spit" is a make shift pull behind trailer, it's a huge cast iron barrel cut in half, then rehinged to close like a typical bbq lid. runs on propane but you can add coals / wood chips etc

Now I know this sounds weird but can you sear the outside of a full pig without lighting the the pig, spit trailer, truck and surrounding neighborhood on fire? I totally get the slow and low angle, just seems it would dry out ( without a sear)or is there more than enough fat on a pig to keep the meat moist..
Do not sear, searing is going to seal it and keep the smoke and flavors out. Glad to hear you have a sealed smoker type. I would use the propane to get the coals going then turn it off the gas. Hard wood chunks and lump charcoal are available anywhere that sells good grills for the most part, make that your fuel and flavor.

More than enough fat in a pig to keep it juicy, when my dad does the 36 hr pigs they are just as juicy as my 24 hr pigs, but his 36 hr is even more tender and flavorful.

Keep the barrel at 200F and cook it slow for 24 hrs, it won't dry out, I promise you. Let it cook and try to avoid looking at it, opening up a smoker of that size adds 30 mins of cook time each time you crack it. Hopefully you have a side pot or side door to keep the wood and coal fed without opening it up
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wingnit
I might be a little late with traffic and all......
ROFL
Old 09-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol
If you leave now you'll be right on time just follow the smoke....and can ya bring some warmer weather with you it's already getting cold up here...

Originally Posted by wingnit
I might be a little late with traffic and all......
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Registered

Google Cajun microwave.
The only way you could get a better piece of pig is if you were a boar!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Wholly hell batman! I better get her on this evening then...I should have clarified to that the "spit" is a make shift pull behind trailer, it's a huge cast iron barrel cut in half, then rehinged to close like a typical bbq lid. runs on propane but you can add coals / wood chips etc

Now I know this sounds weird but can you sear the outside of a full pig without lighting the the pig, spit trailer, truck and surrounding neighborhood on fire? I totally get the slow and low angle, just seems it would dry out ( without a sear)or is there more than enough fat on a pig to keep the meat moist..
You didn't say if the pig was whole (as in skin still on) or if i had been halfed (rib cage showing).

Generally, pork has enough fat to keep itself moist without a problem. If a piece of pork dryed out while cooking, it was because it was cooked at too high a heat or overcooked. Too high a heat can burn the fat off. Most cook books will tell you to cook pork to a temperature of 170F. I have found that an internal temperaure of 160F leaves the meat with a slight pink tint look. It is also very moist and juicy. If the pig is still skin on, there will be no worries about the meat drying out.

Once the pig has reached the desired temperature (and I will emphasize again 160F internal temperature), remove it from the heat, tent it in foil and allow it to stand for ~20 minutes before carving.

I never was a big fan of injecting marinades into the meat. Injecting is localized marination. I have marinated whole hogs by soaking the meat in a large cooler full of vinegar and water with my favorite seasonings (no salt). I never use salt while cooking unless it is skin on. I prefer to salt to taste on my plate. Sea salt rules! I am not a fan of storebought BBQ sauces either. I prefer a good homemade vinegar or mustard base sauce. Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered

Skin is on....you guys should see the exhaust stacks/ tips on this bbq..its the nicest thing on it...i thought it had merc bb in her - its one bad mofo,
Old 09-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Out of pure noseyness........What time did you start cooking and how much does the pig weigh?
Old 09-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Started it at 830 and pulled it off at 6pm...65lb and temp was 280..meat was falling apart at around 5.went quicker than i thought
Old 09-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

'pig on a spit' I thought this was about WRINKLEFACE'S Nortech !
Old 09-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Registered

Started it at 830 and pulled it off at 6pm...65lb and temp was 280..meat was falling apart at around 5.went quicker than i thought
Slow cooking is the only way to go. Glad to hear it worked out OK. Now about that pulled pork sandwich I missed out on. Yuuummmmm! Can you send it FedEx?