Notices

pig on a spit

Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pig on a spit

Figured I would ask my oso brothers here before it gets moved to bilge...

Need a good basting recipe for this hog I'm doing on Saturday....havent done one in years.I know some of you guys must have had some good success, thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 07:09 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this was the method used at one I went to. Good eating http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes...-pig-on-a-spit

Except wrap in foil
Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by paintman
Figured I would ask my oso brothers here before it gets moved to bilge...

Need a good basting recipe for this hog I'm doing on Saturday....havent done one in years.I know some of you guys must have had some good success, thanks
If you scald the hog to remove the hair, you can cook the hog whole with the skin on at low temperature (250 F or less). Low and slow gets it done right and no need to baste as the skin retains the fat (natural juices) and bastes it throughout the entire cooking process.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Registered

Thanks fellas. ..and wobble i had to reread yours a couple of times...and thought at 1st you were trying to kill me with the plastic wrap lol

wingnit i plan on putting it on around 8am should be ready around 5
Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the Cuban method a number of times and it comes out amazing. Get a syringe and inject the hell out of it with Mojo and let it marinate overnight, for a 100lb pig you can inject 2 gallons.

http://www.lacajachina.com/Mojo-Criollo_a/168.htm

Also to get the skin crispy you sprinkle some white vinegar on it when it is getting close to being done.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Registered

Thanks fellas. ..and wobble i had to reread yours a couple of times...and thought at 1st you were trying to kill me with the plastic wrap lol

I might be a little late with traffic and all......
Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO that's too fast, As crazy as it sounds I like to be around 16 hrs, but have roasted up to 24hrs. My father does them for 36 hrs in smoker. The lower and slower you cook it the better the meat will be. Low heat for a long time releases all tough connecting tissues.

I brine all my pork with an apple juice, brown sugar, water and apple cider vinegar mix.

I use lump charcoal and apple wood scraps, and wet wood chips thrown on intermittently for flavor. Call a local apple orchard and see if they have wood for sale, most will give it to you for free. Burns steady and give great flavor. I use the apple wood for the fire, and hickory chips wet for added flavor.

Get an infrared digital thermometer from Harbor Freight or a hardware store, keep check of the surface temperature of the pig and move the coals around to keep the temp down (if you have the time). If you can keep the surface temp of the pig at about 200 degrees it will take about 24 hrs to cook......so get started today! I bring the temp up the last few hours to 250-275 to get things crispy.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Funny story, somewhat related..... I live in a subdivision, think 1/4 acre lots/HOA/ etc and we had a block party. Neighbor is a wildlife biologist for the state of FL and he shows up with sausage links (appeared to be). It was good and everyone was eating it and he then announced that yesterday that hog was running around out west (big nature area)......the look on some people's face was priceless! Suddenly people were considering that Ms. Piggy was alive and well yesterday and is being devoured today!

Some people don't consider that all of this meat was running around at some point!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered

Wholly hell batman! I better get her on this evening then...I should have clarified to that the "spit" is a make shift pull behind trailer, it's a huge cast iron barrel cut in half, then rehinged to close like a typical bbq lid. runs on propane but you can add coals / wood chips etc

Now I know this sounds weird but can you sear the outside of a full pig without lighting the the pig, spit trailer, truck and surrounding neighborhood on fire? I totally get the slow and low angle, just seems it would dry out ( without a sear)or is there more than enough fat on a pig to keep the meat moist..
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

am i reading the method in post #2 right, they wrap in plastic and continue to cook?

man I'm get'in hungry just reading . . . . . lol
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.