Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2001 25foot Baja SST Outlaw or a 1996 26 foot Wellcraft Scarab >

2001 25foot Baja SST Outlaw or a 1996 26 foot Wellcraft Scarab

Notices

2001 25foot Baja SST Outlaw or a 1996 26 foot Wellcraft Scarab

Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Scarab's photos are current, it looks like a clean boat. The euro-design is a bit dated, though. The Baja, though a classic offshore design, looks fresher. These two boats will likely ride and handle similarly (both single engine, straight V hulls). However, the Outlaw's sharper 24 degree deadrise gives it a slight rough water advantage.

Personally, I prefer the Baja (I had a 24' Outlaw and enjoyed it). However, as previously mentioned, the Baja's bilge does look a bit dingy. Obviously, you should check out both boats (and engines) in person before making a decision.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,077 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Well after seeing both boats, ( thanks for the links ) the scarab looks to be a little cleaner, and since your not brand loyal to either I can see your dilemma, but 5 yrs newer the OL still has my vote, and that's not because I own one, or is it
Old 09-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I maybe a lil biased have had a 25ol. Scarab has a decent colors but has a classic, older dated look and Baja has a more modern (can't tell what year it is) look. Baja could pass for new. In looking at the Helms, the Scarab really shows her age and the Baja has a cleaner, new look with monster gauges.

That a side, the Baja is 5 years newer and has a 496HO. 400 is light hours on that motor. You will go through a few IACS, but good motors! 23k is a good price considering I sold my 99 25ol w/ 454 mag for 23500 last spring and thought I was dumping it to move quick.

Good luck either way.

Last edited by nailit; 09-24-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered

A good friend of mine owns that Scarab. The boat is as clean in person as it looks in the pictures. Great boat. Ive been on it multiple times. Runs strong, rides nice and is well maintained.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vogepm
A good friend of mine owns that Scarab. The boat is as clean in person as it looks in the pictures. Great boat. Ive been on it multiple times. Runs strong, rides nice and is well maintained.

Yep Greg seems like a good guy.,.. I am going to get the scarab. I made up my mind and told Greg around 5 or so today that I was picking it up Friday at noon. I think its the right choice for me. I have been dealing with the owner of the scarab for a couple of weeks, but then my bud showed me the baja and thought it was a good deal and it really intrigued me. However, as I said The scarab is in better shape then the baja, so if all goes well, I will post some pics up on Saturday morning..
Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered

Welcome to the club, I am sure you will love it as much as we love ours !
Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sledfreak
Yep Greg seems like a good guy.,.. I am going to get the scarab. I made up my mind and told Greg around 5 or so today that I was picking it up Friday at noon. I think its the right choice for me. I have been dealing with the owner of the scarab for a couple of weeks, but then my bud showed me the baja and thought it was a good deal and it really intrigued me. However, as I said The scarab is in better shape then the baja, so if all goes well, I will post some pics up on Saturday morning..
Congrats. Its suppose to be beautiful here Friday. Great day for a test run!!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 494 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by sledfreak
Congrats.. You will love it. If you need any help with it please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be happy to show you all the upgrades we have done to ours.... Good luck and be safe.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I know of a great scarab 29 for you
Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vogepm
Congrats. Its suppose to be beautiful here Friday. Great day for a test run!!
Yep, I am bringing my shorts and sandles... I am jacked now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.