Early signs of leaky headers 525s >

Early signs of leaky headers 525s

Notices

Early signs of leaky headers 525s

Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by extras
Drain your headers after every time out.
+1,
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by activator40
Early signs are a lot of steam and when they get real bad it will hydrolock the motor. If you pull the plugs you will see traces of rust from water inhilation..my advise is to junk the headers..unless you have more patience than I do...I am not a big fan of those headers and I have sent them back many many times and they don't last..If you want to do it right get yourself a set of stainless marines.they are lighter in weight and they make more power on a dyno..I have tested them ..
I'd love to see those dyno sheets. . . . . . . .

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
This guy is my mechanic. My headers leaked 3 times causing two top end rebuilds. He wouldn't re install the junk CMIs after the 3rd time(probably saving me $$ and headaches) so I went with the Stainless Marine set up. 2 years with no problems. I had them painted blue to match the motor. They look great.
Signs of leaking are steam, hard starting, feeling like its only running on 6-7 cylinders...
You should be looking deeper for the cause. Mine are on their 7th season with no problems.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I'd love to see those dyno sheets. . . . . . . .

You should be looking deeper for the cause. Mine are on their 7th season with no problems.
Hours, salt water and a bunch of other things play a part. Mine started to fail around 200 hours which is pretty common for a boat used mostly in salt water.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
Hours, salt water and a bunch of other things play a part. Mine started to fail around 200 hours which is pretty common for a boat used mostly in salt water.
Yes, big difference with salt. Flexing seems to be an issue too.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts

All that wonderful extra ethanol kills headers faster that in that past also...
Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

A buddy of mine had a new 39 Cigarette w 525's. His early tell tale signs of headers failing were high oil temps. The water would get past the rings and make its way into the oil filter causing it to by pass (filter & cooler) driving oil temps way up.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biggus
A buddy of mine had a new 39 Cigarette w 525's. His early tell tale signs of headers failing were high oil temps. The water would get past the rings and make its way into the oil filter causing it to by pass (filter & cooler) driving oil temps way up.
High oil temps were the first sign on mine and also on a friends 38TG.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
High oil temps were the first sign on mine and also on a friends 38TG.
Last year, I had leaks in two sets of headers; one of which cost me an engine. Looking back, I now recall my oil temps being pretty high but I was new to those motors and I thought that was the normal operating range. My current 525's rarely get above 150*, the ones in my old boat consistently ran above 200.

I've posted this already about 100 times, but the way to keep up these headers, ESPECIALLY in salt water is to flush them religiously, EVERY time you run the motor, no matter what. And I drain them once they cool down. I also pressure check them every 10-15 hours with an air compressor and a leakdown tester (ie: drain them, fill them with compressed air and see if they lose pressure).. You can do this safely with the headers attached to the engine. Don't do this with water while attached to engine because if you do have leaks, you will force water into the cylinders..
Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Mine are on their 7th season with no problems.
Mine too but looks like we're both in fresh water.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Mine too but looks like we're both in fresh water.
My headers are 9 seasons old, boat has never been in salt water, used in Wisconsin and Ohio so season is short. Consider myself lucky and keeping an eye on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.