Smith Mtn. Va.  Water level >

Smith Mtn. Va. Water level

Notices

Smith Mtn. Va. Water level

Old 08-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Smith Mtn. Va. Water level

Does anyone know how the water level is at Smith Mtn. Lake? I am thinking about going up there this Sat. the 31st. If any OSO members are boating there let me know. Roger
Old 08-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I was just there two weeks ago. The water level was down about 5 feet when I got there on Friday night. Launching on Saturday morning was not much better. Only up about a foot. I paddled out from the launch about 50 yards before dropping the outdrive, and putting it gear. I had no problems the whole weekend though. Over the course of the weekend, (Saturday night), they raised the level to about 12-18" below 'full pond'. I still had to back my trailer off the ramp a bit, onto the rocks to get the boat back on the trailer on Sunday afternoon, but it was not so bad that I had to paddle in.

27Fountain from the board, just moved from there, but his Dad is still there, by the cliffs. Maybe he can help out a bit.

Also try to call someone from SMLBA.com or BernardsLanding.com. Everyone is really friendly there, and should be able to give you an update. Have lots of fun! I wish I was going back!
Old 08-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Anyone else since it has been raining all week?
Old 08-28-2002, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look for another place to boat.....toooo risky. But I would also think you should be able to look up the water level on the net
Who controls the lake?

Last edited by enticer; 08-28-2002 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up, SML water is down, I was there yesturday, Now I am in FT Myers FL WOW what a drive. Seriously, pending on the size of your boat you should be fine. SML is a very deep lake only a few shallow spots and their marked pretty well. Just launching and getting back out could be a problem, again pending on the ramp and boat.

WILL
Old 08-28-2002, 04:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

The lake was built by adding a damn between two mountains. The place is deep, WAY deep. Much of the lake is 20-200+ feet deep. You can see the shallow spots, as they are red with clay. They are obvious where they come out on a lot some of the curves. I was a bit leary too, but I had zero problems. Here is what I was told is the deal with the lake level control: The dams are controlled by a committee. The two lakes below the SML dam, are 'richer' in terms of money and real estate, and these folks flow more dollars to have the level of their lakes higher. Kinda sucks if you ask me, BUT it appears as though they raise SML on the weekends. In all seriousness, it IS BYFAR the prettiest lake in VA. Absolutely worth the trip. It is not a big boring round pond either. If you look at it on the map, the mountains created valleys that make for long runs, with lots of turns and curves. Much fun!

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-29-2002 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking it out on the map...is it in Franklin or Bedford county?
Old 08-28-2002, 11:58 PM

SML, touches three counties, Franklin, Bedford, and Pittslvania.

Brian, I am curious to wich lakes you are refering?? The lower lake is Leesville lake and their is hardly any development on it, and it varies 17 feet normally. Actually SML Dam is completely controled by American Eletric Power out of Ohio. And they don't care whos water is down. That is what I was told. However the Dam has to let X amout of water through a day, to keep the river flowing or the enviro wacks go crazy. Also the entire area is in drought, Roanoke has been on water restrictons all summer.

WILL
Old 08-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Will, I was told what I descibed was the deal at the Poker Run. I was also told basically this when I was pissing and moaning about the water level at the ramp a few weeks back; by some older people who lived on the lake. I was only relaying it. I am surprised to find out differently.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-29-2002 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:35 AM

Brian,

Their could be truth to all of it? My Dad has asked and called the Dam and they always say its AEP out of OHIO that lets the water out. However they may be getting outside influences.

WILL

Quick Reply: Smith Mtn. Va. Water level

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.