Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze

Notices

Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze

Old 10-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
this year try one w 20% water and pink.
Did that test last winter. pure pink, slush, no expansion. 10% water, froze fairly hard, a little expansion. 25% water, froze like a brick, with some expansion.

How does green glycol destroy rubber? Last time i checked, my cars have rubber radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
How does green glycol destroy rubber? Last time i checked, my cars have rubber radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc?
I just looked at 2 tech pages that listed neoprane and nitrile (impeller) as suitable for use in static and dynamic (water pump) environments with ethylene glycol (green AF). So my guesses are as follows:
A. ECD caused by increased air presence in a marine setting.
B. Silicates present in automotive AF. Silicates are an anti corrosion additive for cars, but I remember long ago when I worked at a motorcycle shop, Honda had a TSB warning the silicates would prematurely degrade water pump seals.

I have no answers, only hypotheses.

ECD explained-

http://ww2.gates.com/australia/broch...ation_id=11310

Last edited by Speedracer29; 10-03-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

I would wonder the same, but, wtf.

Far as the topic of discussion here,

I drain the water all out, run the pink chit thru, about 5 gals per motor, then drain the pink chit out, put it away for the winter. Mine are closed cooling.

If you have full fresh water cooling I would, and always did, drain all water then fill the blocks with the green automotive chit, drain out in the spring and save for another year. Green chit in the pond come spring will get yo azz in a real big bind if caught. Orange chit is in the same class as the green chit, only lasts longer and costs more.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm winterizing my motor with KY Jelly. I know for a fact it's suited for rubbers!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts
Default I`ll keep using pink

. 100% solution of ethylene glycol-based antifreeze is approximately -12 degrees celcius, higher for many of the lower quality products (which have a lower concentration of ethylene glycol). The optimum solution is about 60% antifreeze and 40% water. The reason for this is that the two molecule types (ethylene glycol and water) interfere with each other's ability to attract like molecules and crystalize, or freeze. A higher concentration of either liquid will reduce this affect and raise the freezing point.

Pure ethylene glycol actually freezes at about 8 degrees fahrenheit.. The key is in the mix.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

FWIW, years ago Volvo Penta had a bulletin about using pink or any anti freeze for layup storing a impeller / engine. All Volvo's are motor side impellers not drive side like Merc Alpha and OMC. Anyways some pink anti freeze's would swell their impellers so Volvo wanted you to pull them out or replace in the spring before running if you were winterizing with any form of anti freeze.

About 5 years ago, I put a Volvo impeller in pink anti freeze in a glass jar for months. (Johnson makes all Volvo's impellers). The results were the impeller swelled a bit sitting in the pink anti freeze for a tad over 6 months. After checking some other brands of pink anti freeze, not all brands swelled the Volvo impellers sitting in the glass jar. IMO whether you use pink anti freeze or not, All impellers should be changed out at the beginning of the new season for a piece of mind anyways and part of your maintenance routine.

Green anti freeze is very toxic so do the right thing and do not dump it on the ground nor in the waterways. keep in mind your kids swim in the waterways so keep them clean. Also for the animals as it is a sweet tasting fluid for them to drink and kills them with a violent death. Keep that in mind as well.

Last edited by BUP; 10-03-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Just use the pink stuff. It's worked forever. Marinas that winterize hundreds of boats a season use the pink stuff. It's not broke: don't fix it.

-50F for mild winters
-100F for severe winters
You could use the Mason-Dixon line for this cutoff.

When I used to put a lot of hours on each year, I'd replace the impellers every spring.
Now I usually go with every 2 years or, but carry them on the boat along with tools. This is when having SmartCraft and mechanical water pressure gauges pays off in spades.

If you don't want your impeller to soak in antifreeze, just pull the drain plugs on the SWP and bump the engine over with the starter real quick after you are finished.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-03-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Or live in an area where a 40 degree night happens oh say 4 times a year. Lol
Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
this year try one w 20% water and pink.
i would not add any water with the pink rv stuff,20% and 0 temp will freeze.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=michimike;4196566]that is what i didn't know of. I would never spill ethylene glycol on the ground[/quote

HEADS UP...BOAT US HAD (ORANGE/NEON PINK)-200 BELOW ON SALE FOR 9.95 A GALLON THIS WEEKEND,,ITS WHAT USE FOR YEARS AND SLEEP WELL..

Last edited by FIXX; 10-03-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.