Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What would be more reliable merc. 525sc or 502mag w/blower set up? >

What would be more reliable merc. 525sc or 502mag w/blower set up?

Notices

What would be more reliable merc. 525sc or 502mag w/blower set up?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Both would need a few things to be the most reliable that they can be.

The 525 sc should really have the cam and lifters changed to a hyd roller. It should also have the blower rebuilt if it has anywhere near 200 or so hours. DMPE can rebuild it with better seals so that the gearcase doesn't become as fuel diluted.

Adding a supercharger to a 502 Mag is an excellent idea, as long as it's done correctly. A Whipple is more upfront money than a Procharger, but there are less mods to do. If going with a Procharger, you will need to throw away their fuel system and replace it, as well as programming the ecm. Everything you need is included in a Whipple kit, including a pre programmed ecm. That's why it's more upfront money. You don't see that many used Whipple kits for sale, because most everyone loves them and doesn't want to get rid of them. Used Prochargers are not that hard to find. You can pick them up for around $2500-$3000. With either supercharger, there are still a few things that should be done to the 502 Mag. You should change the exhaust valves, springs, retainers, lock and seals. You should also change the head gasket to an MLS (Cometic) and install ARP head bolts. Another really good idea is to change the non adjustable valvetrain into an adjustable one. That requires changing the rocker arms and studs to make them adjustable. That also allows you to get rid of the stamped steel rockers and go to an aluminum roller rocker.

When done properly, either can be great setups. The 502 Mag with a supercharger will make from 600-650 hp very easily. That's quite a bit more than the 525 sc. It is also somewhat limited since it's only 454 ci. The 502 Mag can easily be upgraded along the way. With either supercharger, you can step up to a set of aluminum heads and make quite a bit more power later on when you are ready for more upgrades. The little blower on the 525 sc is the limiting factor. You will need to replace it at some point to make any substantial gains. Even then, you are still dealing with limited cubic inches.

Personally, I would go with the 502 Mag and upgrade it as money allows. You can continuously upgrade it as you go. We have made well over 900 hp with one with a Procharger, using the 502 Mag intake. Now, it was 547 ci with aluminum heads, extrude honed intake, larger injectors, etc. but it started life as a 502 mag. You can do the same thing as money allows. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Eddie
So a stock 525sc with a fresh blower has no real issues for reliability, other than wanting a power increase from roller cam/aluminum head?
I don't want to pop bravo1 drives constantly or do XR upgrade.
My leaky blowers, 177's with 230 hours are going to DMPE this winter.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Dmpe?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Dmpe?
Darrin Myers. That's who I send them to. They are top notch.

Last edited by Young Performance; 10-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MichiMike
So a stock 525sc with a fresh blower has no real issues for reliability, other than wanting a power increase from roller cam/aluminum head?
Correct. The 525 sc is a great little engine, in stock trim. Most guys had problems when they tried to spin the blower to the moon. You are certainly on the right track by sending the blower to DMPE.

At some point it would probably be wise to upgrade the cam and lifters to a hyd roller, as well as change the springs, etc in the heads to match. Until then, run a good oil with the necessary additive if it doesn't contain enough zinc.
Eddie
Eddie
Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I wouldnt even worry about adding alum heads. The roller upgrade will probably give you a few more rev's and bump the hp a bit. Put the head money in the gas tank and enjoy it.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Registered

Phragle is correct. Before I would replace the heads, I would spend the money on a larger supercharger. You will run out of blower before you run out of head.
Eddie
Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Correct. The 525 sc is a great little engine, in stock trim. Most guys had problems when they tried to spin the blower to the moon. You are certainly on the right track by sending the blower to DMPE.

At some point it would probably be wise to upgrade the cam and lifters to a hyd roller, as well as change the springs, etc in the heads to match. Until then, run a good oil with the necessary additive if it doesn't contain enough zinc.
Eddie
Eddie
Thanks for the info. I plan on keeping it stock spend money on gas and beer.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiMike
Replacing the rear seals and bearings is pretty simple on those blowers. The 177 is non stripped. If the rotor to case clearance is within spec, you can change out the rear bearings and seals cheaply and run them if they truly only have 230 hours. Most bearing supply places will have the parts. I redid mine and got the parts from motion industries

Upgrading to a larger blower, roller cams, would be a major improvement in both performance and reliability