Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015 >

Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Notices

Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Old 10-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So at some point SBI had approached the APBA race sites to run them under the newly formed SBI sanctioning body? What orgs raced in Key West and when ? SBI states it's their 34th annual event but SBI wasn't even formed 34 years ago ?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want a professional national series for offshore? Here is my 2 cents. (And yes I race with OPA). You need 1 sanctioning body for a 6-8 race schedule, with races in east/west/north/south with 4 pro classes. Supercat, SS, SV, SVL. Pro class races on Sunday, GPS "sportsman classes" race on Saturday. It is a loose copy of what IMSA does with sports car racing. How to get there? No idea.......
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When a Real pro series ONLY ! comes to pass there is NO room for (sportsman , p-class ,1-7 class ,)
So I hope youre in the upper range , cause the NEW org. doesn't include you lower classes.I mean lower as in rank .
Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, we are class 6, so we would not be among the big boys. Thing is, there aren't enough big boys to make much of an event themselves. And as any major pro series has, you need a feeder system/series. It would be a shame for the new org. to pass on increasing their boat counts and therefore, the entertainment value, by ignoring the smaller boats. Hey, what do I know? Been participating in pro road racing for 20+ years.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sbracing
Well, we are class 6, so we would not be among the big boys. Thing is, there aren't enough big boys to make much of an event themselves. And as any major pro series has, you need a feeder system/series. It would be a shame for the new org. to pass on increasing their boat counts and therefore, the entertainment value, by ignoring the smaller boats. Hey, what do I know? Been participating in pro road racing for 20+ years.
I agree . but for the moment they do not include you.
As time goes by they will need money and then fit you in .
Remember this is oss all over again .
same tactics . come in from behind , wait till its dark and take what you can .when that's used up ,do it all over again , and here we are .
Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IN10SE
So at some point SBI had approached the APBA race sites to run them under the newly formed SBI sanctioning body? What orgs raced in Key West and when ? SBI states it's their 34th annual event but SBI wasn't even formed 34 years ago ?
OPT (Offshore Performance Teams) was the original breakaway group from APBA started by Jon and a group of powerful racers. After a few years It built up a mountain of unpaid bills and filed for bankruptcy. Immediately it re-started as SBR (Super Boat Racing). After a few years It built up a mountain of unpaid bills and filed for bankruptcy. immediately it re-started as SBI (Super Boat Insatiable?), The earlier unpaid bills left lasting scars on race sites, hotels, TV production companies, etc and some of that bad taste still persists....go figure...

Today, SBI's supporters attack any new group because of a "lack of credibility"??????

You really can't make this sh*t up!

T2x
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

If you never raced at a OSS event then your opinion means nothing about them. As far as I remembered EVERY racer was paid at the race site at the awards, Safety was 2nd to none, the staff was professional, race meetings were organized and on time, the rules were held to the highest standards, and it and the APBA LLC was as close to a professional org as I have ever been a part of. Yes it fell apart because it cost more money to run that type of org VS the hobby style racing we are all doing today. We can all just take the word professional out of what we are all doing now. Its a fun hobby !!!!