Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Notices

Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Default Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Breaking news out of Sarasota today, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...series-in-2015
Old 10-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual a fine play on words. Don't look for Steve Curtis and Qatar to be in Key West!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol how long this time.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

So how many off shore organizations are there in the US now?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Lol how long this time.
Until someone doesn't get there way LOL. So who is sponsoring this?? It takes deep pockets to start something new like this and even deeper to keep people in it for the long haul. In the end you cant have 2-3 orgs with the same boats and expect a good turn out at all of them.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

Why can't one of the many organizations put on a real open ocean race along with their roundy round style races. Each side has their position and just because you disagree, doesn't mean you hate the other style.

Take Key West for example, races are held every other day. Saturday is a lay day with no racing. Perfect, put on a race on Saturday to Dry Tortugas and back, with designated checkpoints so the big boats go 200 miles and the smaller boats do 100 miles. Add in there a race for the poker runner guy, with a short course of 50 miles and you can have a lot of people having a lot of fun the way it used to be.

As sometimes happened, the fastest boats do not always win, real navigation and preparation play a part. You may have the fastest boat, but you may also finish your 200 mile race in Naples if you do not have a good navigator. This is what the sport was founded on ......a way for boat manufacturer's to prove their product is better in real world conditions. Everyone benefits and the boats and racers get better.

Real open ocean conditions have rough water and big waves. Those conditions do not allow the hyper speeds boats are running on flat water lakes. That fact alone makes safer racing.

Last edited by Top Banana; 10-10-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the main reasons in for medical rescue.....and also break downs. That would be a long 200 mile tow, and rescue could never get u to a hospital or help in time.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Offshore racing.. HHmmmm. Now it's "near shore". Don't get me wrong, I love the sport, no matter how it's done, but when I raced back in the 80's, we were gone "offshore".. couldn't see any shore line, markers, building or anything. Once you hit or saw the tuning point, and head back to "shore" lol.. (Remember, that at times you might be miles off from that point) we were pretty happy we know which way was North and South. Prior to GPS tech. Once we came back to the "spectator" area and everyone was "sort of" happy to see us, all we were concerned is did we make a "short" route... got lost half way? are we ahead? last? lol... Speed was totally secondary. Awwhh,, the good Ole' days.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

>>> One of the main reasons in for medical rescue.....and also break downs. That would be a long 200 mile tow, and rescue could never get u to a hospital or help in time. <<<<
With all due respect buddy. There is a race from Callais to Dover, and others that are "long". If some of the "current" racers would know more about driving/throtteling and respect/knowing the limitations of the equipment, there would not be such a high priority on the medical issues. Too many have large balls, deep pockets and limited brains. I'm all in for pushing the envelope and take things to the limits, but going in circles with a preset GPS monitored max MPH., pretty much reduces all the racing concept of "thinking out of the box" to win, or finish.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Great idea ! I Would bust my A$$ to put a boat together just for that ( no B.S. ) and I bet a few others would too ! It would make some of the older boats that are considered " obsolete " viable race contenders and possible winners. I know the emphasis towards making this a spectator sport requires the course to run up and down the beach , but honestly, do you think this will really make people run out and start a race team or give a sponser enough publicity to justify spending real money? You may disagree with me , but this is not really a SPECTATOR SPORT!!! The people that have interest in it will find a way to enjoy it just like the old days. Can HORBA put something together with these guys , or are they afraid HORBA might steal the show? P.S. I'll put my OLD A$$ Magnum back together for this sh!t or a 38 Seahawk I found ( complete w/BBC's, Stellings , SSM 3's , and two bladed props?). Somebody make it happen , I'm gettin' old !

Last edited by PARASAIL941; 10-10-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.