Notices

best flooring material

Old 10-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best flooring material

I want to replace my cockpit carpet with some other type of flooring, something I don't need to vacuum so much. I also just want a lighter color.

Lonseal looks good, what other options do I have?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

My Nordic had a carpeted floor (never understood that one - they put it in the engine compartment too), I gladly ripped it up and replaced it with Lonseal Loncoin 2. The raised coins are textured so you have some grip when walking around a wet cockpit. I had the Perelli Wave in my PowerPlay and I think many Cigs have/had it too, but I found that it was harder to keep clean than the Lonseal was since the recesses were deeper in the Wave pattern. I wound up coating the Perelli with Interlux 2 part epoxy paint since the stains wouldn't come out and it looked new and was easier to keep clean.

http://www.lonseal.com/show_product/LONCOIN%20II
Old 10-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Is this a diy thing or do I need to send it out?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

You need to prep the floor after ripping out the carpet, I scraped off the glue, sanded the floor, then used a filler that was made for a wet environment (it's like green bondo) to smooth out the dips/humps.

Next was the formation of a template for the floor which I transferred to the flooring and cut it. I used the 2 part epoxy adhesive that Lonseal recommended to adhere it but I wouldn't do it again since you'd NEVER get the flooring up if it was damaged. The good thing about it was that you could adjust the install if needed since it didn't set up for an hour or so.

The other way is to use spray on contact cement that will do a good job holding the floor down and allow you to replace it if needed. You gotta be careful tho, once you bond an area you're into it, can't move it. You have to make sure you're aligned perfectly then set it. In that case I usually use some thin strips of wood (no splinters because they'll show up as humps in the floor) or fiberglass baton strips to put over the floor before you lay it down, that way you can align the flooring without fear of bonding then pull out the strips in order and you're all set.

Is it a DIY thing? I guess it depends on your skill level for this sort of endeavor. I build stuff for a living so while the install was a new experience for me the work was fairly straight forward. It was a bit of a project for sure, but the result was absolutely worth it.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI, the Wave is also Lonseal…. Pirelli doesn't make flooring… Never did as far as I know…. I worked at Cig for several years and always chuckled when people, even the guys in the shop called it "Pirelli"… We bought both styles from Lonseal….
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Registered

Tim, I know you guys will install whatever floor a customer wants, but what is your preference?

The driving factor here is to lighten up the interior of my boat and make it easier to keep clean. If there are other options, I'm all ears.

Indy, I'm new to this, but I don't see it being something I cannot do. I need to get the boat back from the engine guy and take some measurements and some pics.

Aside from the placement issue, are there any other pitfalls to avoid? What about cockpit areas that aren't the necessarily the floor, like foot rests?

Last edited by Cole2534; 10-13-2014 at 10:27 AM.