Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question >

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Notices

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Old 10-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Wow baffling, you guys realize lifters, and rockers would last much longer with increased spring pressure and controlled valve events.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Wow baffling, you guys realize lifters, and rockers would last much longer with increased spring pressure and controlled valve events.
Please explain. Like said above I have not seen float with my stock 525s even at rev limiter.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:59 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the set for the valve springs thru TCM - Teague is a tad under 400 bucks and or a tad under 28 bucks per one valve spring. Its cheaper by the set than one per thru them.

Then you need the valve locks @ 2.75 each and then the spring retainers at 3.75 each. They might be a tad lower for the spring retainers, I forgot and also forgot what the part #'s are. If I recall correctly they also work for the 600 SCi and the 700 SCi

Also for an FYI Merc will not sell you 1 or 8 or how many ever valve springs - If going thru Merc you have to buy the whole set regardless, I already posted what that price was. .
Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 4,255 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Please explain. Like said above I have not seen float with my stock 525s even at rev limiter.
How do you know this?
Unless you have a Spintron you have no idea whats going on in the valvetrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1PUM0rY I had no idea my valvetrain was eating itself until I took it part and saw the damage.

.....Secondly , not sure why anyone would pay so much extra money for the same product and the only difference is the box that says Mercury.
Thats just throwing money away.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Registered

Valve float is an extreme over exaggeration of a valvetrain problem. I'm sure you don't see valve float at 5000 rpm. My 360 I built when I was 16 with a $150 summit cam lifter and spring kit didn't float the valves until 5400 either....
Many issues are happening and causing small amounts of damage well before valve float comes into play. If you ran at 4800 most of the time the lifters and rockers would prob fail at 150 hours, if you ran them at 5500 they'd last 50 hours. Upgrade parts and put a real spring package, and real valves in those junk heads, raise the rev limiter and enjoy some real reliability.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Its all fun and games till you bust a rocker and send needle bearings thru the engine. Right now the merc engineers are getting a good fluffing from some of you. But when you lose a motor youll be changing your tune about how "they know what they are doing"

Anybody worth a dam in the high performance world will tell you 120lbs of pressure on a hydraulic roller, with a heavy bbc valvatrain, is bogus.

That is a not a RV cam in those engines. Stress and frictional loss so run super light springs? Poppycock. Nobodys sugessting 280 on the seat and 600+ over the nose here for that application.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

When you are on top you are bound to have haters. There seem to be a lot of Mercury haters here. If you are going to pick an engine builder then you'd better have trust in that builder. Would you take a Teague engine or an Ilmor engine or a SmithPower engine and try to second guess them as to their choice of parts and specs? If the Teague parts are truly identical to the original parts then I will buy from Teague. I'm not going to second guess Mercury Racing on valve spring height or seat pressure, especially on their most popular and successful high performance engine.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

They were only a home run to guys like you who have been lucky. The guys who had to blow their kids college fund on junk header replacements, broken valvetrain components, etc may look at them more of a bunt than a home run.

The 900sc engine was a solid roller deal that had a limited lifespan. Many guys over the years changed mercs recipe on them, made more power , and got better life from their engines.

I have no "hate" for merc engines. I just dont drink the kool aid that they are some unicorn of marine engines. For petes sake they use crane cams, crane rockers, aftermarket rods , edelbrock cylinder heads, nothing mind blowing there.

No point in discussing further. Your sold on mercurys setup. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Registered

No hate here either. 500efi is a great engine and I think merc hit a home run with. The 525 is a pos from every angle. I just can't understand putting a mediocre "might" live set of parts back in when it's well known it can be done better. If your going back with the stock springs make sure you do a new set of lifters and rockers at the same time. Weak springs may not have wrecked everything else in 300 hours, but might by 400.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
They were only a home run to guys like you who have been lucky. The guys who had to blow their kids college fund on junk header replacements, broken valvetrain components, etc may look at them more of a bunt than a home run.

The 900sc engine was a solid roller deal that had a limited lifespan. Many guys over the years changed mercs recipe on them, made more power , and got better life from their engines.

I have no "hate" for merc engines. I just dont drink the kool aid that they are some unicorn of marine engines. For petes sake they use crane cams, crane rockers, aftermarket rods , edelbrock cylinder heads, nothing mind blowing there.

No point in discussing further. Your sold on mercurys setup. Good luck.
It's just that Mercury's setup has worked for me and many others. When there are so many 525s out there then there are bound to be failures. Most engine builders use off the shelf parts. You are right though; We cold debate this until the cows come home. I'm just going to stick with what has worked well for me so far. I do appreciate all of the info, advice, opinions and discussion though! I think my original question has been answered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.