Chipping/ grinding up a fiberglass boat hull

Notices

Chipping/ grinding up a fiberglass boat hull

Old 10-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Chipping/ grinding up a fiberglass boat hull

No I didn't steal one.

I read about the boats being parted out in the swap shop section and I'm guessing the hull gets recycled via a chipper. So do you attack it first with a Sawz-All and cut it into managable sizes ? What does it cost to recycle ?
ed
Old 10-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Send Big Chubby a letter.... He might respond faster if you put contraband in the envelope. You think Cigarettes bring a premium in the used boat market, you oughtta see the premium cigarettes bring in the joint!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Registered

Seriously though, the landfill by me takes whole hulls, priced per ton. Their front-loader makes manageable pieces of it. Another one used to require the hull to be cut in half or title/registration provided.

http://www.libertylandfill.com/construction.html

It's about 15 minutes south of Jackson, MI. If you venture down, stop at JR's in Brooklyn for dinner. Do it on a Friday and try the prime rib and $3 Long Islands....

Or save some coin and drop the scrap hull off near an abandoned home in Detroit.... Everybody else does.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 10-16-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any landfill should take it. Chainsaw with an old chain will make quick work of it if you need to make pieces for hauling. As stated above, any hull, even the vaunted Apache, is no match for heavy equipment. In our area landfill fees are around forty bucks a ton non commercial.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...last-ride.html

Our landfill will take any boat 20' and less for free. They don't question 4' cut off the bow and thrown in the back. Here's a thread and pics of the carnage. I was surprised how quickly it was destroyed. 2 good drive overs and you couldn't even see it anymore.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yep, place around me here will mince it for like a hundy or something like that.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By me you pull up wit hthe boat on the trailer..they grab it woth the loader and you drive forward and off the trailer it goes then they smash the sh!t out of it with the loader..usually 60 for small boats and like 25 footers are a hundo..
Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

We are like 30 bucks a ton here. Can't phuck with it for that. I crushed a 25 foot bayliner flybridge that I had bought for the new Mercruiser package that was in it.

Got to the dump at 5pm and had the camera . Guy pulled it off the trailer and said he was heading for the garage I told him I had the camera and could he entertain me by seeing how quickly he could crush it . Took about a minute and a half and you couldn't tell it existed.

I have the video here somewhere on my pc gotta find it and post it on you tube.

Second boat I scrapped was a 28 foot flybridge Bayliner that I had bought to keep down in the Keys to use to go diving before everything went thru the roof down here and you couldn't find a place to dry store on a trailer anymore.

Brought it to the dump again a 5pm and the loader grabbed it and pushed it in the bin and the Giant Claw from the kids game grabbed like a Alien and put it in the Incinerator . Unfortunately the camera been sitting in the 180 degree truck cab and when i turned it on was dead as a rock. Way cool seeing a giant claw grab it was like being a miniature person in the Crane Game.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Any landfill should take it. Chainsaw with an old chain will make quick work of it if you need to make pieces for hauling. As stated above, any hull, even the vaunted Apache, is no match for heavy equipment. In our area landfill fees are around forty bucks a ton non commercial.
Not True about the Apache.

There is one out at our landfill that every piece of Machinery has been in the ring to crush it.. Can't be done.

They have given up on it and towed it to the top of the hill of the landfill to represent.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Not True about the Apache.

There is one out at our landfill that every piece of Machinery has been in the ring to crush it.. Can't be done.

They have given up on it and towed it to the top of the hill of the landfill to represent.
Bullshet.

No Apache has ever went to a landfill, because everybody knows if you destroy an Apache in this manner, Chuck Norris' spirit animal wil come sodomize and devour you in the middle of the night.

Owners of Apaches in disrepair pay storage fees for years, not in hopes of an eventual restoration, but instead from fear of Norris' spirit animal.