Notices

Haul Cleaner

Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Slimy Grimy works awesome. If you have a really dirty bottom I mix Slimy Grimy with Iron Out in a garden sprayer and it will clean just about instantly. It smells horrendous though, and at that point it is getting caustic to the trailer. Slimy Grimy is just a powdered boat cleaner. My local hardware store keeps it in stock.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone about the slimy grimy. I use to use on-off with my old boat but I had an aluminum trailer that wasn't anything special now I have a nice steel trailer and don't wanna screw up the paint. My buddy 88244ls recommended slimy grimy and it's great. Added bonus it's environmentally friendly so I can use it to clean the bottom while on the lift
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
Have used on & off on my little boats for years but got a teal colored stain on my Cigarette from the week it was in the water at LOTO last Summer. It's now on the Myco trailer and I don't want to risk staining the aluminum. Someone o here mentioned a gel hull cleaner that would cling to the hull and then rinse off without damaging the trailer. Anyone?
Cover the trailer with platic tarp.

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
How bout some rubbing compound on a buffer? it'll shine the trailer too....
That twill not remove the yellow/brownish stain

Originally Posted by kevlar382
Bio-Kleen has great products. You can't go wrong with there stuff.
It works OK but not as fast or easy as an acid toilet bowl cleaner or muratic acid.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by shepnic74
I agree with everyone about the slimy grimy. I use to use on-off with my old boat but I had an aluminum trailer that wasn't anything special now I have a nice steel trailer and don't wanna screw up the paint. My buddy 88244ls recommended slimy grimy and it's great. Added bonus it's environmentally friendly so I can use it to clean the bottom while on the lift
The acid cleaners do nothing to painted trailers. Only hurts bare metals.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Ringo and it works real good.The last 3 years I have used Power One by Fountain of Youth Products. The Power One can be poured in a garden sprayer and sprayed on.After applied just use a hose and spray it off. Either one doesn't seem to take the wax off. I can't feel the difference with my hand from where I used the cleaner and the rest of the hull...
Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Thanks, never heard of slimy grimy. Where do I find it? Is it a boat product or household?
See post #14 =D

You can get it online, I think amazon has it.

Get the powder version and a good spray bottle. Put about 1/2 teaspoon of it in the bottle and then fill it with water....spray it on the hull when its dry and let it sit until it starts turning your boat white again, then hose it off. If you want to speed up the process some, get the wife/gf/kids/freeloaders to use a boat brush on the bottom after you have sprayed the slimy on there, then let it sit and hose it off.

If it isnt working very fast (say a minute or 2) put more powder in the bottle.

When you're done, make sure to remove the sprayer from the bottle and stick it in the sink and run some straight water through it (while pumping the trigger) so it wont kill the sprayer head so quickly.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Registered

I used bio-kleen products for the first time this year on my 38 fountain that is a boat that is kept in a slip in lake michigan for the whole season. It did 90% in one application with 1 gallon, full strength, with little to no effort of scrubbing. Spray on , wait 5min (or drink a beer) a light scrub, and rinse off. I've dinked around with numerous different no-name toilet bowl cleaners, and cheapo hull cleaners, and this is by far the best stuff yet. The bio kleen didnt seem to damage my aluminum trailer, but then again mine has been discolored from all the various cheapo hull cleaners I've farted around with. Other than zing the bio kleen has worked the best on a heavy soiled hull, but zing is nasty stuff, it also discolored the hull on my previous boat, thats why I went away from using it. Good luck, I highly recommend the Bio-kleen, plus your supporting a fellow performace boater!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Quoting a friend who seemed very knowledgable and his suggestions worked, stole from a local boating thread off of Facebook

"Sno bol used to have Oxilic Acid in it. Now it has Hydrochloric acid instead. Still works, but harsher on gel coat, etc. Any product with Oxilic or hydrochloric acid will work. Or you can buy oxilic acid cheap and just mix w water and put in a spray bottle. Hydrochloric acid is much more dangerous to your painted trailer, hands, etc. Oxilic acid you can use on anything with organic or rust stains. Stain disappears before your eyes. You will kick yourself for all that rubbing and scrubbing and elbow grease"

"Try this. Get a vitamin C tablet out of your medicine cabinet. That is Oxilic acid. Get it wet and hold it on your yellow stain below the water line. It will turn white within minutes. "

"Starbrite Hull Cleaner has Oxilic acid. Thats why it works. Just paying a premium for it."

Having said all that I followed his advise and found toilet bowl cleaner at the Dollar Tree for $1 each and it has Oxilic acid and it works wonderfully cleaning my transom. Sprayed it on and it wiped off all the yellowing. Which boating on the Ohio River I get allot of it being out over a weekend.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrmike
Quoting a friend who seemed very knowledgable and his suggestions worked, stole from a local boating thread off of Facebook

"Sno bol used to have Oxilic Acid in it. Now it has Hydrochloric acid instead. Still works, but harsher on gel coat, etc. Any product with Oxilic or hydrochloric acid will work. Or you can buy oxilic acid cheap and just mix w water and put in a spray bottle. Hydrochloric acid is much more dangerous to your painted trailer, hands, etc. Oxilic acid you can use on anything with organic or rust stains. Stain disappears before your eyes. You will kick yourself for all that rubbing and scrubbing and elbow grease"

"Try this. Get a vitamin C tablet out of your medicine cabinet. That is Oxilic acid. Get it wet and hold it on your yellow stain below the water line. It will turn white within minutes. "

"Starbrite Hull Cleaner has Oxilic acid. Thats why it works. Just paying a premium for it."

Having said all that I followed his advise and found toilet bowl cleaner at the Dollar Tree for $1 each and it has Oxilic acid and it works wonderfully cleaning my transom. Sprayed it on and it wiped off all the yellowing. Which boating on the Ohio River I get allot of it being out over a weekend.
IronOut (used for rust stains in bathrooms) has the same active ingredient(oxyalic acid). Used it for years on fiberglass showers, ceramic, and stainless to clean up stains from well water. $3/bottle at most chain stores.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Registered

Fountain of Youth Power one is another good one that is non-acid based and is amazing. It works great in the water I boat in...

Good thing you aren't looking for "Trailor" cleaner. Sorry, couldn't resist..