Notices

water in bilge

Old 10-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default water in bilge

I know my hull is in very good condition and doesn't leak but whenever I leave the boat moored for a few days and come back it has water in the engine room…..
I think I have screwed the bung in tight enough so that can't be it is it something to do with my drives or exhaust system???

also if it makes any difference it is often rough where I leave the boat

what could be the problem I have confidence the hull has no leaks any help appreciated
Old 10-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi way2fast you could have water coming in at the transom shield , if you can get in there check with a torch to se if you have a small trickle , could be a swivel pin seal gone bad ,also check hoses especially the one befor the water pump .
Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had the same problem and it was the sealant went bad around my thru hull transducer.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Registered

The list is long but first thing I would do is try a bit of Teflon tape on the plug threads of you haven't already. I know they are tapered threads and are supposed to self seal but I had a boat that no mater how tight you got it would not seal I spent a lot of time looking for a leak then one day just for the hell of it put some tape on the plug problem fixed. If that's not it go to checking the transom assembly. They like to leak at the steering shaft seal so look where the tiller arm goes into the transom
Old 10-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

shift Bellows, drive shaft bellows or steer shaft seal,,,,, pray its the bellows
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I noticed the same thing with my boat and I kept checking for leaks, etc. Then I inspected the water closer and it was fresh water (boat was floating in salt water).
The light bulb went on and I realized I was getting water in through the vents when I washed it off.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My built in ice chest drains to the bilge. I figured it out after I found lettuce in there.