Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1998-1999 Suburban towing capacity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31946-1998-1999-suburban-towing-capacity.html)

CigProject 08-30-2002 08:22 AM

Secret,
Go with the post about the Suburban 2500 with the Vortec 7.4L engine. Be sure it has the tow package and nothing will stop you! In case you upgrade in size and perpormance, you will have what you need. Mine is a 1996 Suburban 2500 4X4, with tow package. There have been some upgrades that corrected the above weaker links. A full Brembo brake system was installed and Edelbrock TES SS headers installed with a performance muffler. Hypertech programming for the 160 degree thermostat was also performed. Man does she run! It operated just fine without the upgrades, but when it can be inproved so much, why not do it ! Good Luck.:)
John

42 SS 08-30-2002 08:53 AM

I have a 1998 2500 suburban with the 454 and 373 rear end. I towed my 31 Sonic every weekend since it was new and I
was very pleased with it. I figure the boat and trailer we were pushing 10,000 lbs.
We recently purchased a Sonic 42 SS and are still hauling with the suburban. I figure the boat and trailer with gear and fuel are close to 15,000 lbs.( slightly overloaded) and we still haul it every weekend with no problem. In fact we can run 70 mph with the air on and seems to have plenty of power thorough the hills. I must ad the trailer has 6 wheel electric brakes, so we have no problem with braking.
The only thing I would beef up is to add air bags to the rear suspension because it does sag a little bit.

Steve

Wally 08-30-2002 09:18 AM

Is mileage a consideration at all??? I used to have a 99 Crewcab dually 4x4 w/454 auto. The truck got 8-9MPG towing a 8000lb Scarab (not including the trailer weight) and it handled great! One year we took my buddy's 98 2500 454 burban to Fl. That monster sucked down 6mpg!!! Not to say we werent hauling ass down there but jeez!!! I would have gladly taken my dually down there if i knew it was gonna be that bad!

If your just gonna use the truck around your neighborhood with no real long distance driving then i would opt for the 350. Especially if its gonna be a daily driver too!!! Letting the truck struggle a bit on the occasional long distance trip i would be able to live with in the long run. On the other hand if you are gonna do some driving with it. Or hauling anything else....plowing in winter...etc..etc...then definetly go with the 454!! You cant beat the power of that engine! Hell i dont much admit this but once coming back from LOTO i was chasing a chick in a small honda while towing my Scarab at 90+ MPH!!!! :eek: stupid i know but man did the truck just pull like a freight train! :D :D

Secret F233 09-05-2002 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to say thanks for the good advice guys. I ended up with a 1999 3/4 ton 2500 GMC Suburban, 454, 4x4, leather, alloys, brush guards & best of all 31,000 miles :)