Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sterling’s D’Anniballe on E-Fuel Marine Engines: ‘Definitely Doable’ >

Sterling’s D’Anniballe on E-Fuel Marine Engines: ‘Definitely Doable’

Notices

Sterling’s D’Anniballe on E-Fuel Marine Engines: ‘Definitely Doable’

Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to better fuel economy and burning up our fuels etc.?
Not with E85, we'll need a bigger gas tank. Not economical, less per gal, but burning a lot more? Better make that 100 gal tank 150 gal. for the same ride !

I just don't get what were gaining with E85, where's it cheaper and better for the boaters and public???
Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Ill keep buying my non ethanol.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Pure-gas.org
Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Ill keep buying my non ethanol.
At this rate, maybe a day here soon, that some places won't have non-ethanol ? At that point, what do we do with the older rigs not made for E-85 ?

Is this going to make the makers of additives to help combat ethanol , make more products?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here at lake of the Ozarks where the boating season is appx may through-end of sept we have found a huge amount of phase separation in boats and more so in pwc,s from the setting between uses
Old 10-28-2014, 10:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

He (Sterling) must be using better brass fittings than what the marine OEM's are using. because E 10 does hurt them. I do know the materials of today are not the best quality either so that does not help, its 2 fold. e-10 is a huge problem for aluminum, it creates Aluminum Oxide especially under the spin on fuel filter mount. I have tons of them and freshwater use only apps.

With that said more examples, On Carb V-6 and 3.0 L - 4 bangers the mechanical fuel pumps have a paper element fuel filter in the bottom cap of the fuel pump itself. The E-10 kills the inside of the cap the filters rest in and also kills the end caps of the fuel filters its self. No discredit to him ( Sterling) but Joe Q public does not own motors what he builds nor tests.

I teach marine classes in the winter and one of my classes is sterndrive failures. I have a TON of parts (failed) and then a ton of fuel related parts that do not hold up in the marine environment from the OEM's and from E-10 fuel especially when boats just sit for many many months and or years. Now I am not against E blends nor for them as I have said so many times. E-10 does have its positives and like I said so many times a form of alcohol has been in the gas supply since the 70's not in every city but a lot and especially most Northern States in the Winter The Midwest has had since the 70's regardless.

Anyways I would like for you to pass this info on if he needs to see my findings as well and especially about brass fitting that the marine OEM's are using. With that said, I am glad he did his study and I am 100% sure his testing is to a T and of course he has a HUGE name. Myself on the other hand, DO NOT have the so called well known name especially compared to Mike but in certain circles I am very well known. I totally understand if we don't ever talk because I do not have all the testing equipment to put into testing to see the end the result. What I do have is 25 years of the school of hard knocks working on JOE average boat owner and some really nice super boats as well.

Also did Mike test a current marine CATALYST ENGINE with all the different E blends ?

Last edited by BUP; 10-28-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Some of that E-10 phase separation is not all E-10 fault either. Some of it poor quality fuel fills, fuel caps, poor sealing and fuel vents that allows water to enter into the fuel tank from washing the boat, rain, waves and so on. Also there is a O-ring in on the inside of the fuel cap that dry rots and or breaks off (is missing) to help seal out moisture, the O-ring needs to be changed every 2 years now or check to make it is not missing. I have those parts and pics as to the cause of failures and letting moisture / water into the fuel tank.

Next leaving water stored in the bilge / engine compartment creates a humid environment for the engine and the intake and the fuel tank and fuel components along with electrical components, over time this leads into condensation and corrosion plus is a good way for condensation to drip of the inside of the top of the gas tank . Water in the fuel, again Not e-10's fault. Anyways just some example as to why phase separation happens.

Last edited by BUP; 10-28-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r015
What happened to better fuel economy and burning up our fuels etc.?
Not with E85, we'll need a bigger gas tank. Not economical, less per gal, but burning a lot more? Better make that 100 gal tank 150 gal. for the same ride !

I just don't get what were gaining with E85, where's it cheaper and better for the boaters and public???
Good point. Ethanol has much less BTU than gasoline, putting out less power. But it reduces our dependence on foreign countries and can be domestically produced on huge scale such as in the sea with large kelp farms. But since we now have efficient technology for fracking, what's the economic advantage to alcohol? And maybe someone can chime in regarding isobutanol which has been recently tested as another dino alternative.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Some of that E-10 phase separation is not all E-10 fault either. Some of it poor quality fuel fills, fuel caps, poor sealing and fuel vents that allows water to enter into the fuel tank from washing the boat, rain, waves and so on. Also there is a O-ring in on the inside of the fuel cap that dry rots and or breaks off (is missing) to help seal out moisture, the O-ring needs to be changed every 2 years now or check to make it is not missing. I have those parts and pics as to the cause of failures and letting moisture / water into the fuel tank.

Next leaving water stored in the bilge / engine compartment creates a humid environment for the engine and the intake and the fuel tank and fuel components along with electrical components, over time this leads into condensation and corrosion plus is a good way for condensation to drip of the inside of the top of the gas tank . Water in the fuel, again Not e-10's fault. Anyways just some example as to why phase separation happens.
BUP pls clear your PMs - no space.