Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New marine product - Your opinion please! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31981-new-marine-product-your-opinion-please.html)

Sandahl 08-29-2002 11:45 PM

New marine product - Your opinion please!

I'm doing some market research here - I'm a technology entrepreneur and offshore enthusiast and I have recently been in contact with a firm that holds a patent for a device that I think could be transformed into a very useful marine sensor/alarm.

ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATION ALARM

The device consists of a sensor and a standard size gauge that continually monitors the relative amount of (salt or fresh) water or coolant that has leaked into your engine oil, detecting it long before the dreaded milk effect is visible, yet able to ignore false alarms such as might be caused by condensation water.

I think this could serve as an early warning system for gasket, header, and manifold water leaks all of which can lead to big-dollar repairs within a few hours of operation if undetected. The sensor could probably also be used to monitor outdrive oil for the same benefit.

I'd sincerely appreciate your opinion, positive or negative, on its viability as a product. If there appears to be enough interest I will move forward with them to bring it to market asap.

Audiofn 08-30-2002 06:33 AM

Sounds like a great idea....... Well two more holes in the dash!!!! :D:D I would want to make sure that there are ways of knowing if I am contaminated with this or that. Also a readout of some sort would be better I would think then a dummy allarm as you can see if at for example start up you could have lots of condensation in there, then when it gets warmed up you can watch it all burn off at the guage drops off again. Just some ideas to think about. Sounds like a start however :D:D

Jon

Miami 08-30-2002 07:12 AM

Great Idea - like everything, price is critical. Despite the saying " you can pay me now or pay me later " type of thinking. It must be price sensitive.

Why bother with expensive marketing and / or advertsing! Sell the rights to Mercury Marine or a company like Livorsi ( Gaffrig )

Good Luck

Maximus 08-30-2002 08:11 AM

FANTASTIC

I'll take two...plus mounting hardware and sensors.

Platnium bezels/Alum faces

Maximus

Wild 08-30-2002 08:37 AM

Sandahl

Do you have and invention co. I have a great Idea for a prodoct that every boat needs, but no one to share it with. As soon as I tell someone, they will do it and make a fortune.

Randy Wild

Kevin Schulte 08-30-2002 10:02 AM

New product idea

Hey Wild,

Taking new products from idea to finished goods for the Marine Industry is what I do all day long. Give me a call and we discuss your idea. If it's feasable I will pay you a royalty on every unit sold.
Kevin Schulte Hardline Products phone 805-581-4700

Brad Zastrow 08-30-2002 10:43 AM

I believe the water sensor in oil is a great idea. Water can destroy an engine quickly. Blow a head gasket/intake gasket and you could have serious problems. Gas in oil is (I feel) a low priority issue.

ccarloss 08-30-2002 11:58 AM

Great idea!! I say pursue it.

Quiet Storm 08-30-2002 12:18 PM

Sounds like a great idea. It would of helped me to set up the blowers.

Zero Cavity 08-30-2002 03:22 PM

I like the idea a lot. Go for it and let OSO members be the FIRST to try it.