Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Planning a trip to Miami 2015 Boat show....suggestions?? >

Planning a trip to Miami 2015 Boat show....suggestions??

Notices

Planning a trip to Miami 2015 Boat show....suggestions??

Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Planning a trip to Miami 2015 Boat show....suggestions??

I figure that it might be nice to get away from winter for a few days this year. It was horrible last winter with snow every few days and prolonged temps in the teens. Hell, I don't like staying in Pennsylvania when it's nice out!

Anyway, I was figuring on heading to Miami to check out the boat show and see the sites, maybe catch a boat ride in 2015. I have been looking and almost all the hotels that I can find associated with the show are already booked. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay that is reasonable and within a decent distance of the show? Also, any other "must see" things or places to go while in town? Like restaurants, local attractions or anything else powerboat related?

And as always, I am on a budget...
Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
I figure that it might be nice to get away from winter for a few days this year. It was horrible last winter with snow every few days and prolonged temps in the teens. Hell, I don't like staying in Pennsylvania when it's nice out!

Anyway, I was figuring on heading to Miami to check out the boat show and see the sites, maybe catch a boat ride in 2015. I have been looking and almost all the hotels that I can find associated with the show are already booked. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay that is reasonable and within a decent distance of the show? Also, any other "must see" things or places to go while in town? Like restaurants, local attractions or anything else powerboat related?

And as always, I am on a budget...
Well anything in South Beach area is close really. You don't have to go by what hotels associate with the show on the web site. Anything in and along South beach is fine, we stayed in the Spanish district last year and enjoyed it before we were right off Ocean but the name slips me.

Also what is reasonable as far as price. Cause everything is jacked up for that event.

We go every year though still and love it.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reasonable and South Beach are not two things I would have in the same sentence. We stayed at the Loews last year and it was nice. We're staying at the James this year. There are a bunch of great restaurants in SB, but none I would consider "reasonable"... But if you want to venture... Prime 112 is my favorite place there.. Prime Italian is also very good.. as is BLT... stay away from Barton G... very gimmicky and the food does not justify the pricetag... the problem with hotels in that area is not just the show.. that week is also mid-winter break for a lot of schools in the northeast and lots of people head down there... you could stay outside of SB and drive there..
Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I stayed at the Shelbourne. Easy walk to everything.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

I am ok with spending a few $$ on a nice restaurant but when it comes to a room for a long weekend, probably 4 days, I don't want to spend $500 a night
Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

I am ok with spending a few $$ on a nice restaurant but when it comes to a room for a long weekend, probably 4 days, I don't want to spend $500 a night

A very basic clean room room somewhere not big name is still about $300 a night area.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

That would be ok. I guess I will just have to start looking harder.
Just search anywhere in and around south beach. It is very way to get to the show and even walk anywhere need be in that area. Trip advisor is your friend on some of the smaller but nice hotels.

If $250 - $300 is ok then you should be fine bud.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
A very basic clean room room somewhere not big name is still about $300 a night area.
That would be ok. I guess I will just have to start looking harder.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in Norrth Miami Beech or sunny Isles, there is bus service that runs north and south as well as water taxi's, one of my favorite restaurants in Miami is the Knife, google it, it's like Fogo de Cai but much cheaper, about 25 bucks and each adult gets a bottle of wine included in that price .

Last edited by formula223; 11-05-2014 at 04:57 PM.