Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where is everyone staying for the races in Grand Haven? >

Where is everyone staying for the races in Grand Haven?

Notices

Where is everyone staying for the races in Grand Haven?

Old 08-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where is everyone staying for the races in Grand Haven?

We have rooms in Holland. Days Inn. YEEEHAW, we are living high on the hog now!! Well, it was the only place with 5 rooms left.
Also, we have some family going with us that are not into the race. They may head down to Saugatuck and stuff.

Holland is what? 12 miles to Saugatuck and 20 to Grand Haven?

We are not going to arive untill Saturday afternoon. I haven't decided what to do as far as the boat. (34') Get a slip for 2 nights, (where) or take it out at night and leave it in the hotel parking lot. I've never had anything stolen, and Holland is a pretty descent place....
What would you do?

Mark
Old 08-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We or (I) am probably heading over Sunday morning. I think I'm just staying for the day though. Haven't decided about hauling the boat over or not.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

We reserved slips at Eldean's in Holland. Just going to stay on the boat from Sat-Mon. It's probably only about 20 minutes to GH or so. And I can't imagine any marina being a less safe feeling than worrying about my boat on the trailer in a hotel lot. I think you'd have better "safety" in a marina where people understand and appreciate boats. The bottom just gets dirtier that way

Mark
Old 08-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Saugatuck is only about 7 miles from Holland. Grand Haven is about 21. I think you are better off in a marina than a hotel parking lot. Holland is no different than other places. Mostly good but, lowlifes are everywhere. I am thinking of just driving to Grand Haven on Saturday and checking out the race festivities and the pit area. On Sunday (depends on the weather) I plan on putting in at Holland, to avoid the ramp crowds in GH, and then running up.

We should pick a spot for the OSO people to meet so we can raft up and watch the races together.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:16 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try to get a slip at Eldean's

It would be cool to raftup for the race. Um, will the wake from the races make it a little rough for rafting?
Old 08-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holland IS different than other places. I moved back here (home town) after working in the Detroit area for 6 years. I leave my keys in my truck now BECAUSE I CAN. Some may say foolish, but I make a point to my self. Holland is a conservative community. (Although I admit, we have our share of minor crimes in town occassionally, but you don't hear much)

maybe I might take the props off, but other than that, I would feel pretty safe. Days in is along US 31 with bright lights. (1 mile from my work)

Eldeans is a nice marina. we launch at the ramp right next to it and some have in/out service there.

If you trailer, you could put in at Port Sheldon, (1/2 way between Holland and GH, you could avoid the GH ramps, and not have as long of a ride back after the race.

Holland to GH, 18 miles along the lake, 1/2 that from Port sheldon. Take US31 North to port Sheldon Rd. Go West until Lake Shore Drive, north 1 mile over Pigeon river and See Pigeon Lake on your left (Port Sheldon, you can't miss the power plant stack) You will battle a few Fishermen, but less traffic than GH on that day. Nice ride North along the lake to GH.
I will be a race patrol, don't know my position until Sat Morning, but Black/Yellow/White 272 Formula. Look me up. See you there, I'm geeked!!!

Last edited by Rambunctious; 07-16-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We're Staying in Muskegan at Great Lakes Marina.
We are arriving on Friday and stating until Monday.
We will be staying on the boat.

Mark
Old 08-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Rambunctious
Holland IS different than other places. I moved back here (home town) after working in the Detroit area for 6 years. I leave my keys in my truck now BECAUSE I CAN.
I can't wait till Waterfoul sees that. LOL! Better start locking it up.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I plan to go back to South Haven after the race.

It would be nice to pick a place to raft during the race if its not too rough.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:21 PM
MIdnightRider

Allot of the fun will be had out on the town in Grand Haven both Friday and Saturday nights. Us youngsters can rough it on the "Wall" both nights, its free and you can use the bathrooms at the munipal marina to get ready. It makes it just a crawl back to the boat after the bar. If you want a nicer place to stay you could call Grand Ilse Marina 616-842-9390 and they have transiant "VIP" docks. I think is like $25 a night, they have an indoor pool, hot tub, restaurant, and showers. It sounds like it going to be a good time. The Weld Shop says they will have my Port motor header done tommorow which has been gone for two weeks so I run the OSO'ers who come up, Candyman, were gunnin' for you . Look for us, we'll be out. Midnight
Attached Thumbnails Where is everyone staying for the races in Grand Haven?-midnight1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Where is everyone staying for the races in Grand Haven?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.