Turbine-Powered Statement Marine 50’ Cat Burns During FPC Key West Run >

Turbine-Powered Statement Marine 50’ Cat Burns During FPC Key West Run

Notices

Turbine-Powered Statement Marine 50’ Cat Burns During FPC Key West Run

Old 11-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by skate 36
One thing I noticed , they were not cooling the exhaust with water like I have seen on all the other turbine boats. I would think with the added heat from the gas and no water cooling it down, that is a recipe for disaster.
There is a sprayer in the boat with a alarm that goes off in the cockpit when it runs hot.

I am not sure if it a typical set up but they do have something in place. Now if is commonly used or not I do not know.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 11-08-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone explain why you would put "gas" in with the diesel on a turbine boat like this? Doesn't the diesel have more Btu's per gallon? Would you add some gas to change the exhaust smell, like running some Bio-diesel? I know allot of people can't stomach diesel smell - just curious? Or is the gas so the turbine lights up quicker with less fuss?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
There is a sprayer in the boat with a alarm that goes off in the cockpit when it runs hot.

I am not sure if it a typical set up but they do have something in place. Now if is commonly used or not I do not know.
What , like a hand held sprayer?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Can someone explain why you would put "gas" in with the diesel on a turbine boat like this? Doesn't the diesel have more Btu's per gallon? Would you add some gas to change the exhaust smell, like running some Bio-diesel? I know allot of people can't stomach diesel smell - just curious? Or is the gas so the turbine lights up quicker with less fuss?
He said it makes more power on gas.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Much less likely if it was running diesel. Can't they run on that?
not necessarily true, although diesel has a higher flash point than gas, its fumes are much more combustible and more violent.... if it were diesel and not caught it could have turned into a massive explosion instead of just a fire.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

What , like a hand held sprayer?
No clue of the size or anything like that.

Just that when riding in it the alarm went off a few times. Each time Nick would press the button. I asked him about what the alarm was for because I didn't know and I was explained that there is a fresh water spray system in the boat that cools the turbines down when they reach a certain temp.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
No clue of the size or anything like that.

Just that when riding in it the alarm went off a few times. Each time Nick would press the button. I asked him about what the alarm was for because I didn't know and I was explained that there is a fresh water spray system in the boat that cools the turbines down when they reach a certain temp.
Probably a water/methanol injection system cools EGT and if you use 50/50 water/methanol adds HP also, works on turbocharged gas and diesel engines also.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
not necessarily true, although diesel has a higher flash point than gas, its fumes are much more combustible and more violent.... if it were diesel and not caught it could have turned into a massive explosion instead of just a fire.
Diesels flash point of 205f means none of it would have even evaporated into a combustible gas unless it came into contact with something that hot. Which is possible. I know you can touch nearly any surface of a marine piston engine and it won't be that hot. I don't know what they do to control surface temps on a turbine.

Gasolines flash point is -45f so it always turning into a flammable gas on its own at STP.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kings11
Out of my limited turbine knowledge - NO! We are allowed to run 100 octane Low leaded fuel "Av Gas" for a maximum of around 10-15 hours on a one time ferry flight under very strict limitations. No matter what happens immediate rebuild of all the turbines must occur. Now that's not to say these turbines aren't massively tuned differently, and can handle it but to my knowledge it's a no. Also I know from being at the 1000 Islands poker run, My Way has had trucks parked at various stops for more turbine friendly fuel.

To me it doesn't make sense to risk the turbines when they are so expensive to rebuild.
What does the gas do to make it that you need to re-build to soon?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

What does the gas do to make it that you need to re-build to soon?
I was kinda wondering the same thing. So if you use the limited restriction it is for a ferry flight only and must be rebuilt shortly there after? In what scenario would this be used? Just curious really, hope this is not considered a highjack . . . . thread highjack not plane highjack
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.