2014 Key West Worlds and Poker Run Coverage Overview

Notices

2014 Key West Worlds and Poker Run Coverage Overview

Old 11-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,694 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Default 2014 Key West Worlds and Poker Run Coverage Overview

We hope you enjoyed our coverage of the 2014 SBI Key Wests Offshore World Champions as much as we enjoyed bringing it to you.
http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...-west-coverage
Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
We hope you enjoyed our coverage of the 2014 SBI Key Wests Offshore World Champions as much as we enjoyed bringing it to you.
http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...-west-coverage
Could you please tell who are the world champions in each class, the SBI website does not have it posted yet.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,694 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Could you please tell who are the world champions in each class, the SBI website does not have it posted yet.
No problem.

Superboat Unlimited—Miss GEICO
Superboat—Broadco
Superboat Stock—SOS Venezuela
Superboat Vee—Snowy Mountain Brewery
Manufacturer 3—Black Pearl
Manufacturer 4—In Tone Crazy Chicken
Old 11-11-2014, 05:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

SBI has the results posted, I have always been a fan of the Superboat V Unlimited, the old Open Class, the bigger Fountains, Phantom, OL, ect. I read there was only two entrants, and the championship was decided criteria of fastest average speed, since Twisted Metal and Hooters Instigator where tied at 950 pts for the three races. Boy that is a tough way to lose a championship.

That class has always been my favorite, now with the Superboat class (competitive)....I don't understand why the Silverhook boat is not in the Superboat V Unlimited class, please explain that to me. What happened to the Airway Fountain, and the #43 OL boat?

I will have more questions when they come to mind, I know you have the answers, thank you for your feedback and knowledge..

Stephen
Old 11-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extreme Class

I have always been a fan of the Superboat V Unlimited, the old Open Class, the bigger Fountains, Phantom, OL, ect.
That class has always been my favorite, now with the Superboat class (competitive)....I don't understand why the Silverhook boat is not in the Superboat V Unlimited class, please explain that to me. What happened to the Airway Fountain, and the #43 OL boat?

Hi Stephan,

The V class you are referring to is called "Superboat Extreme". This is what happened to that class:

In KW 2012, SBI merged three classes (Extreme, P1 and P2) into a 117 GPS class for the 2013 National Season (Cats and Vs). For SilverHook to be as competitive as possible in a 117 GPS class, we swapped engines, rerigged, and retested (costing a lot of money), but for at least half the races, there was only one other boat to race against.

During KW 2013, SBI changed Extreme to be a Spec Engine (monohull) class for the 2014 National Season, While we support the idea of a spec engine class, we stated that we would not change out engines (spending lots of money) to once again race against nobody in 2014... adding that when three spec engine boats showed up consistently, we would change to spec engines. That was a prudent decision because only one Extreme boat showed up most of the season.

So the reason SilverHook is not running in the Extreme class is because of the back-to-back rule changes where the final change to be a Spec Engines disallowed our engines. Therefore, we choose to run Unlimited until things settle down with that class and its rules.

Regarding the other boats,
#12 Airway Fountain - did not change to Spec Engines, so they raced Unlimited in KW 2014
#43 OL - not sure why Joe didn't run in KW (Extreme or Unlimited), but I saw his boat on display in Poker Run village. Too bad he didn't run Unlimited, because Sunday's race would have been a lot of fun!

I'm happy to answer any other questions about the decisions we've made.
Janet
Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Janet,

Thank you for explaining that to me. I find it a dam shame, that the twin engine V-Bottom class is not a packed field. I understand the issue spending lots of money, and to race one boat, that would be troublesome for me too, I like that Lucas Oil boat. I too like the idea idea of a spec engine class, I always have, I really think would draw more competitors, but that is my $.02 opinion, I have never been a fan of bracket racing (breakout speed limited) at the dragway or for boats.

Thanks again,

Stephen