Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later. >

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Notices

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this has a clutch pack in it, what is the anticipated lifespan of the unit itself? Would have to be a wear item right?

I think it is a great idea.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

****** double post
Old 11-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
Since this has a clutch pack in it, what is the anticipated lifespan of the unit itself? Would have to be a wear item right?

I think it is a great idea.
DriveGuardian contains a clutch pack with a Kevlar friction material similar to some high-performance automotive racing clutches. The clutch pack slips a fraction of a rotation each time the propeller re-enters the water so the service life will likely exceed most engine rebuild cycles. However, the clutch plates are replaceable when the need arises.

And thank you
Mike
Old 11-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Got Freedom?
DriveGuardian contains a clutch pack with a Kevlar friction material similar to some high-performance automotive racing clutches. The clutch pack slips a fraction of a rotation each time the propeller re-enters the water so the service life will likely exceed most engine rebuild cycles. However, the clutch plates are replaceable when the need arises.

And thank you
Mike
Good info, pretty much what i figured but was curious nonetheless.

Another question. Since it is torque based slip, is there a power limit that the unit has before being overcome by the engines torque? For example getting on plane with 700ftlbs it wont slip, but what if someone was hard on it with say 1000ftlbs, would it cause clutch slippage getting on plane or accelerating hard.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

Great question Philm, each DriveGuardian is calibrated to transmit a torque value that is greater than the engine's peak output. So, it will not be possible to make the clutch slip by simply accelerating too hard.

Mike
Old 11-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Registered

Each DriveGuardian is calibrated for a specific maximum torque that is usually at a preset value that is just above the peak output of the engine. So, yes an engine upgrade would most likely require a recalibration.

Mike
Old 11-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Got Freedom?
Great question Philm, each DriveGuardian is calibrated to transmit a torque value that is greater than the engine's peak output. So, it will not be possible to make the clutch slip by simply accelerating too hard.

Mike
Gotcha, so each one is custom "tuned" for the engine package it is going on. The peak shock load will always be greater than the peak engine torque anyway, probably many times greater in some cases.

So during a repower or engine upgrade these would have to be sent back to the factory for recalibration then?

Sorry for all the questions, just find this to be pretty interesting.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So my interest has been peaked! Very cool product!

I noticed they have a model for an SSM. Would this unit basically work on any outdrive that uses a transmission? Is it still as effective? With a transmission in between the outdrive and the engine which is also full of clutch plates does a transmission increase or decrease its effectivity?

I am in the process of converting my 84 scarab from BW and TRS to MG502 and Kaama surface drives. Would there be a benefit in this configuration?

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,236 Posts

502, one of the reasons Mike developed the product is because he was personally blowing up drives and transmissions. The DriveGuardian replaced the coupler and it protects not only the drive but the transmission also.

The original design was developed for the NXT set up and bellhousing.
In my case we could not fit the DriveGuardian in that small space without going to new starters and different flywheel but now Mike has also solved that issue.

http://www.marinedesigncorp.com/our-products.html

Mike correct me if I`m wrong but with the latest design it is much more compact and fitment should not be an issue.

I also have a tech brief for anyone interested ...

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 11-16-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone please send me pricing for both SSM and bravo based units? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.