Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later. >

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Notices

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, the SSM version will fit virtually any transmission / drive combination. We would need to check the input shaft specifications of the MG502 to see if they are the same as a Borg Warner 72C. If not, then we would need a custom damper plate. We also have a shaft mounted version that might be an option for you as well depending on your power levels.

Mike
Old 11-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
Gotcha, so each one is custom "tuned" for the engine package it is going on. The peak shock load will always be greater than the peak engine torque anyway, probably many times greater in some cases.

The way I look at it, and Mike please correct me if I am wrong on any of this, is that

Its not always the engine's power output at the flywheel that breaks drives, shafts, etc. For many years we've all associated that XXX HP is too much for XXX drive, or we've said things like, "an XR is fine behind a 525EFI",

Each boat setup is different. Speed factors in, water conditions factor in, prop blade count, diameter, slip factor, weight of the boat, all factor in. If flywheel HP was the only definitive of breaking drives, we would never have the scenerios like,

Guy #1 "Well I got 100 hours out of my XR drive behind my 525 before it broke",

Guy #2 "well I got 300 hours from my XR behind my 525 before it broke"

The flywheel output is the same, but that doesnt mean that the drivetrain is seeing the same torque levels. I think its been proven, that say a stock XR drive, can take 525 merc flywheel output. What the XR can't take, is the output from the water twisting the prop backwards. Think of the water as an engine, and the propeller as a the flywheel. At any moment you allow the water (engine) to grab and twist that prop, your actual engine's output becomes irrelevant. That scenerio, can easily supercede your engines flywheel output many times over, which Mike has validated during his development.

If we all had the same hull combo, the same props, the same engines, the same water conditions, maybe, you can get remotely close to what actual flywheel torque level XXX drive can handle. But with so many variables, its simply not possible to establish that number in my opinion. The ONLY constant we have, is the power the engines make. Anything else, we have no control over, as far as what loads the drivetrain will see while in operation. Hull weight, prop style, blade count, slip, speed, and so on. Until now that is. With the Drive Guardian, you now are able to control the maximum torque the drivetrain will see, which will be very relative to the engines flywheel output.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Inertia!
Engine spins up when leaving the water and then the prop catches again and has to "pull" the engine rpm back down. Result, higher torque than engine rated output. Another scenario is a simple shift directly between reverse & forward or forward and reverse. Two issues: 1) prop may not have stopped turning in one direction before it is reversing direction, 2) the engine unloads briefly between gears and the engine rpm raises above idle. Combine the two and the torque can easily be higher than rated engine torque.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The way I look at it, and Mike please correct me if I am wrong on any of this, is that

Its not always the engine's power output at the flywheel that breaks drives, shafts, etc. For many years we've all associated that XXX HP is too much for XXX drive, or we've said things like, "an XR is fine behind a 525EFI",

Each boat setup is different. Speed factors in, water conditions factor in, prop blade count, diameter, slip factor, weight of the boat, all factor in. If flywheel HP was the only definitive of breaking drives, we would never have the scenerios like,

Guy #1 "Well I got 100 hours out of my XR drive behind my 525 before it broke",

Guy #2 "well I got 300 hours from my XR behind my 525 before it broke"

The flywheel output is the same, but that doesnt mean that the drivetrain is seeing the same torque levels. I think its been proven, that say a stock XR drive, can take 525 merc flywheel output. What the XR can't take, is the output from the water twisting the prop backwards. Think of the water as an engine, and the propeller as a the flywheel. At any moment you allow the water (engine) to grab and twist that prop, your actual engine's output becomes irrelevant. That scenerio, can easily supercede your engines flywheel output many times over, which Mike has validated during his development.

If we all had the same hull combo, the same props, the same engines, the same water conditions, maybe, you can get remotely close to what actual flywheel torque level XXX drive can handle. But with so many variables, its simply not possible to establish that number in my opinion. The ONLY constant we have, is the power the engines make. Anything else, we have no control over, as far as what loads the drivetrain will see while in operation. Hull weight, prop style, blade count, slip, speed, and so on. Until now that is. With the Drive Guardian, you now are able to control the maximum torque the drivetrain will see, which will be very relative to the engines flywheel output.
Don't forget hull weight. A heavier hull with the same power will be much tougher on a drive than a lighter hull. As proof, we have a guy just up the lake from me who owns a 1987 Sea Ray Pachanga 22. What's so special about it? It's got the original 454 / 330 HP big block in front of the original (never blown up) Alpha drive. Sure, he drives is like an old lady, but will sneak it up to the low 70's given flat enough water and a real slow wind up. So he's real gentle on a fragile combination - in a relatively light hull. Every single bigger / heavier hull around here with the same combination blew up eons ago. Of course if the Drive Guardian was around back in 1987 ...
Old 11-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We installed a Drive Guardian in a 30 foot Sutphen with a 950 HP blower engine. Max torque was 1100 ft. lbs. We completed two races,two poker runs and several trips to Marthas Vineyard. The drive is max machine upper with an IMCO lower. Saris pulled his drives apart last week . We are checking ours this week.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Freedom?
Correct, the SSM version will fit virtually any transmission / drive combination. We would need to check the input shaft specifications of the MG502 to see if they are the same as a Borg Warner 72C. If not, then we would need a custom damper plate. We also have a shaft mounted version that might be an option for you as well depending on your power levels.

Mike
Thanks ICDEDPPL!

Freedom - I believe the spline on the BW and MG are the same!

Can someone please PM me a price?

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is the price top secret?
Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Calm down sparky.
The bravo version is $ 2495
Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Which is a LOT cheaper than a gear coming out the side of a gearcase...
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Really thrilled with all the emails and phone calls I've got over the past weekend, a lot of guys are going to have a great, trouble-free 2015 season!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.