Notices

496 Mag/HO Goodies

Old 08-30-2002, 07:58 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dustin any ballpark figures on how much the 445HP package will be? I was told their were two different ECU's used on the 496's one made by Motorola and the other by Delphi, is this true?

Kirk
Old 09-01-2002, 11:08 AM

Are these upgrade strictly for the 496mag/ho (425) and not the 496mag(375)?
If so are their any plans for upgrades to the 375hp version of this motor?
Old 09-03-2002, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the long delay, but prices will be available by friday I'm hoping. The SC'd engine comes with new injectors, the standard performance cals with and without exhaust utilize the stock injectors and stock pressures. We will have updates for both the 375 and 425, but 425 first.

The 555 ECU is developed by Mototron, which is a company owned by Brunswick, very advanced technology and has many more features than the MEFI 3 or 4.

As for 2 different ECU's, there is certainly 2, Mercury uses the 555 Motorola, while Volvo, Indmar, GM, etc. use the MEFI 4 ECU.

The new pistons are fine and strong enough for the abuse of a supercharger and or more power. They cannot take the detonation or temp that a forged piston can, but as long as the motor is not running lean or detonating severly, the pistons will hold up longer than other parts in the engine.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 09-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Uncle Toys

Dustin:

Glad to hear of your 496 success. Considering the misfortune I had with my 6.2 setups, I was wondering if you had done additional testing with the new 496 applications especially in regards to the fuel in the oil/reduction of oil pressure situation I faced.

Joe

Old 09-04-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Question

Hey Dustin,
just curious, how do you get to 525 hp from 425 hp without changing the regulator and/or injectors?
What is the current duty cycle of the injectors in the stock setup?
Possible erroneous info, but I've heard that they are already at or near 85% on the HO which would be borderline for any mods.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Uncle Toys

ttt

Old 09-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

Nordic heat,

Injectors are open quite a bit, but were increasing the engine efficiency with more spark and easier breathing. It does need additional fuel, but not a large amount. There is no question the 525 motor needs more, the stock injectors with stock fuel pressure cannot supply enough fuel consistenly or reliably.

Uncletoys, we've been testing for 12 months and there are no oil problems or fuel in the oil. As your situation was unique, fuel in the oil is caused by a problem with either running with the rings not sealing properly (especially dangerous in a forced induction application), an overly rich air to fuel mixture or severe detonation. Since we know the air fuel ratio was right on, as evident by the $10,000 (each) meters that we utilizied and the fact that the transom was clean, spark plugs were not fouled, etc. We know it was not detonating severly because the hypereutectic pistons cannot take it, they would crack, fail or something before almost any other piece in that engine. This leads us to the condition of the rings, if any of the rings are not sealing properly, then when in boost, the air and fuel can find it's way pass the poor sealing ring and over time, contaminate the oil. This should never happen instantly unless a ring fails completly. If the oil is so contaminated that oil pressure is falling, pressure should consistenly be down and not just fall instantly. Serious signs should be evident when oil is checked, it should be black, thin and have a fuel odor. If a motor is run under a heavy load (consequently, in high boost) consistenly, it's duty cycle is far greater than running without. So boats that are over propped or near full load should have the oil changed more often than standard motors and should be checked more frequently. When you ran one motor with an SC and one without, that puts tremendous load on the engine with the most power as it trys to carry the second engine. If the sealing is not great, this will cause a greater amount of dilluted oil because it has more cylinder pressure and fuel than the ring can hold. A stock ring with stock clearance can hold the pressure wihtout a problem.

Thanks,
Dustin
Attached Thumbnails 496 Mag/HO Goodies-500-hp-tbi-polished-1-low-res.jpg  
Old 09-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Uncle Toys

Hmm, that's interesting.

1) Facts: My rings were fine before the blowers. My rings have been fine for the past 25 hours since the blowers came off.

2) "If the oil is so contaminated…”??? Fact, the engine blew up. Fact, upon unbiased inspection, the second engine had enough fuel in the oil to cause the oil pressure to drop to a dangerous level. Fact, I had the oil changed three times in those 71 hours total time. Fact, a member of this board checked the oil for me when I filled up only a half a tank before the explosion. Considering I have shortened fuel tanks so the twins can fit in, what’s that, max two hours?

3) “When you ran one motor with an SC and one without,…”??? Fact, I ran it that way for a total of 15 minutes. From Windsor beach to just past the bridge channel entrance. Just long enough to figure out the SC engine had oil pressure problems. During that time we were breaking in a brand new engine, remember? So, I believe the tach never got over 2,500 rpm. I have a witness to that also if you would like to call and discuss – I believe you know his phone number.

4) Opinion – The 6.2 is not built to handle blowers. There’s probably way to much expansion and contraction from cold to hot etc. You should know this!

If I am not mistaken, the 496 is fairly similar to the 6.2 (certainly they do have the same hypereutectic pistons). Considering all of the above did happen, I just thought it would be interesting for those with 496’s to know to what extent you have gone to insure the “reliability, and durability."

Testing for 12 months sounds terrific at first blush. I would be more interested to know how many hours during that period, in the water or on the dyno or whatever. Did you test on multiple engines or just one. Did you test under different temperatures, such as the extreme heat at Lake Havasu. Did you do oil analysis.

My situation may or may not have been unique – I might never know for sure. What is certain is that my situation happened!

Old 09-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Registered

So how much MULA for the mods you listed Whip??? I may be very interested since I am getting just over 80 without any real mods (no labbed props and just a K&N flame arrestor).

Show me the money Jerry$$$
Old 09-04-2002, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

U.T......

Soooooo everyone's pointing fingers?? No one know's what happened?? What's the deal??

Quick Reply: 496 Mag/HO Goodies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.