Notices

Boater's Worst NightMare

Old 09-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if one were to walk out onto the lake bottom, what are they (Alcoa) gonna do about it? Send the marine partol? Can't. Send the local sheriff, well.....I'd bet he'd do just about nothing about it. And as I understand it, if a reseviour (as this appears to be) goes down in level, the company that regulates the level has no say on what you do to the shoreline, even if it has moved OUT several (hundred??) feet.

Has Alcoa said WHY they don't seem to want to put some water back in the lake? Would it shut down a plant of theirs?? Would it hurt their profit margins?? Seems to me that if they want to stay in the good graces of the comunity they live and work in they would do something to ease the low lake level some.

Just my opinions of course.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Candyman 35

I have not heard that many people having problems with wells, most are on county but we are on water restrictions. Thanks for your concern and the rain wish, we need it.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:41 PM
Registered

burtandnancy

I have been to Lake Powell before. Its kind of neet to be on the water and see those giant Saguaro Cactus. Is it real low right now?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:55 AM
Registered

Waterfoul

You have hit the nail on the head and your questions are valid. I was in the middle of a long response to your post and as I tried to submit it, it locked up and said web site not responding. I lost all the info that I had typed. I will answer tomorrow evening when I have more time.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Registered

Waterfoul

The local wildlife officer, otherwise known as a game warden, has been giving out fines for walking around the lake, riding four wheelers and mowing the grass on the beach and around the docks. Alcoa owns the lake, therefore they own the shoreline and they regulate it communist style. Alcoa has rules to abide by in order for homeowners to be able to renew their dock license every year. Our dock is sitting on the ground but they still made us pay the renewal fee. One of many rules states that homeowners can put all the tree limbs they want back into the lake ( to make fishing beds) but will not permit the removal of any natural vegetation (this includes grass). Hell if the water was up, it would not be there in the first place. If I cant enjoy the lake by boating, riding a four wheeler or walking, Please... just let me mow my Dam Grass!

The low or nonexistant water level is brought on by 3 things First the greedy Alcoa keeps running the water tru to make power that they sell, and run their factories with. They have showed that they dont care about their community or wildlife around the lake.

The 2nd is the drought that no one can do anything about, but God himself.

Third is the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission partly tells Alcoa what amount of water they have to let through to meet down river needs. This water from the Yadkin river is used from Boone NC all the way down to the Pee dee river at Myrtle Beach SC. So all of this affects Jobs, business, wildlife and recreation of 2 adjoining states. There could be possible talk of one day, dredging High-rock to give more water capacity in the event of a future drought.

If I have done this right this is a link that explains this further.
(quite interesting to see all of who this affects)

http://www.gorowan.com/hr_fetch.php?PageID=riverfacts

Hope this has not been to boring. Thanks for your concern.