Notices

Staggered engines

Old 11-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
The whit lighting was built out of a mold that was pulled from a 38cig then stretched.
ohhh gotcha ok!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

38 Cig, staggered, the second pic is with the new exhaust, first pic with the sprinkler systems.
Attached Thumbnails Staggered engines-image.jpg   Staggered engines-image.jpg  
Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

I always thought the advantage of staggered motors were that the motors were not only moved forward (front one) but lower in the boat to lower the CG. Also the drives were closer together and closer to the keel resulting in a more even "push" and able to run higher X as the boat came out of the water on plane. (the center being the last part out of the water on a V).

Personally just the ease of working on them makes me want a boat with staggered. I always wondered if the 38 fountains with the SEMI staggered really helped.

But hey, not like I am a boat designer, what do I know.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I always thought the advantage of staggered motors were that the motors were not only moved forward (front one) but lower in the boat to lower the CG. Also the drives were closer together and closer to the keel resulting in a more even "push" and able to run higher X as the boat came out of the water on plane. (the center being the last part out of the water on a V).

Personally just the ease of working on them makes me want a boat with staggered. I always wondered if the 38 fountains with the SEMI staggered really helped.

But hey, not like I am a boat designer, what do I know.
Your 100% on the staggered last thing to leave the water is the props. Working on them deepens on the exhaust my boat sucked with the big tube headers. There is always one engine easy to work on front of one back of another.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
38 Cig, staggered, the second pic is with the new exhaust, first pic with the sprinkler systems.
Nice boat! What does your boat weigh? How much power and is the prop shaft below the bottom? Did the new exhaust cost you any MPH? Thanks
Old 11-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

14 Apache ,I remember reading some where that White lightning was actually built using the Apache mold but the builder eliminated the rub rail and smoothed the hull.
Don't quote me but I will try and find where I read this . I am certainly no Apache expert .
RG.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rick G
14 Apache ,I remember reading some where that White lightning was actually built using the Apache mold but the builder eliminated the rub rail and smoothed the hull.
Don't quote me but I will try and find where I read this . I am certainly no Apache expert .
RG.
Kirk from kryptonite boats has the mold that White Lighting came from on long island made a few 41 center consoles and some 39 step bottom boats with a insert. Its not a apache mold center strakes are short.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Thanks as I said I'm no expert. As for staggering , anything is possible . I put a notch in my 38 Flat Deck to avoid the cost of stand off boxes when I changed to #5 drives . It was certainly alot of work and I would suggest that if you do not fiberglassing skills not a job to tackle . Archer marine is converting the Smokin Joe Scarab to a stagger from a triple set up I have been thinking about staggering the flat deck but also keeping as much of the cockpit as possible . The biggest challenge for me is the thought of dealing with the gas tank removal and shortening.
RG.

Last edited by Rick G; 11-30-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Registered

The Lock and Load 90 MPH staggered cigarette is very heavy. I beleive that boat was laid up extremely heavy in order to compete in marathone ocean races back in the 90's
Old 11-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 315duramax
isnt that what was done to the white lightening boat? heard that was a stretched 38 cig. i would call up a few people that have the full stag 38 TG's and try and get some ideas from the boats from the factory on how they made everything fit... it would be a cool project none the less.
Unless this video is incorrect Legend Offshore built the boat from the 41 Apache mold and had to creat their own deck
http://youtu.be/jYmE3VB8IfY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.