Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help dead Suburban (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32064-help-dead-suburban.html)

Padraig 08-31-2002 06:36 AM

Help dead Suburban

After driving 300 miles, I launched the boat and pulled out of the launch ramp and parked the burb. I flipped on the 4 ways and nothing...no lights on the vehicle or the trailer and no flashing indicators on the dash. Brake lights and turn signals not working although tail lights and marker lights ok. Unplugged trailer connector and vehicle stop lights still not working. Shut off vehicle checked fuses as well as I good in the dark (all seemed ok) and restarted vehicle. It ran for about 3 seconds and died and would not start although it cranks ok. Any ideas?

gmhdfan 08-31-2002 06:52 AM

What year truck? Check for spark. Fuel pump coming on? Could be computer or a problem in the steering column. Check ALL fuses.

Padraig 08-31-2002 07:20 AM

1996 with 350 engine. Have not checked spark yet. Can't hear the fuel pump but my ears are shot anyways. It does act like fuel pump. Will be leaving shortly to check it out and taking a variety of fuses. Seems strange that I have no brake or turn signal lights but can not see how that would affect fuel or spark.

Thanks

gmhdfan 08-31-2002 07:40 AM

Wiring is real funny on late modle cars. Doesn't take much to "spike" a ECM with something wired wrong. A bad ground will do REAL weird stuff. Bring some carb cleaner and spray in air box and see if it trys to fire off. If it does its getting spark and no fuel. It could be not getting fuel for a # of reasons. If you want you can call me at 407-850-6000 and maybe I can help you.

Pete

DOCTOR DAVE 08-31-2002 07:42 AM

padraig, sounds like two problems, lighting problem sounds like the multifunction switch, thats the turn signal lever assy, there has been alot of problems with these, try wiggling the hazzard switch button around to see if the brake and turn signals start working. as far as the engine not starting, three possibilities come to mind, maxi fuse under hood in fuse box, crank trigger went bad, fuel pump low on pressure. try spraying some carb spray in the throttle body to see if it will fire. also one more thing i have seen is the distributor cap burn out on th under side where the rotor makes contact.
dave

Chart 08-31-2002 07:45 AM

Padraig: having just replaced the fuel pump in my 96 burb, I'd suggest paying someone else to do it. It is not tech hard, but a pain in the butt that took two of us a full day. Having done it once, the second time would probably only take a half day. Learning curve and all that. We were quoted about $400. by an indipendent shop, but they could not do it soon enough. The pump kit ran $90.00 from a local auto parts store, and another $16.00 for special gaskets and o rings and locking ring not included in the kit, from the dealer's parts counter. To remove the pump assembly takes a spanner wrench, or two guys with punches and hammers gently tapping the locking ring back in unison (sp?). A small plastic cup with smooth sides works well as a plug in the top of the tank when the pump assembly is out to prevent dirt from entering the tank. Make sure you mark the hoses leading to the assembly, so you replace them correctly. the wiring harness is on the crossmember in front of the tank.

If you need to replace the pump, and can afford to have it done, hire it out. Otherwise, two guys, a floor jack and plywood, and basic tools & knowledge can do it.

Hope it is just a fuse or relay that you can easily replace.

Chart

Ted G 08-31-2002 10:25 AM

The light problem may be a bad multi function switch but the no start after that really worries me. If the MFS went bad and cooked it may have damaged wires in the harness for the ignition. Sniff around real good down near the dash and if you smell burned wiring you may want to get it towed before doing anything else-if a short is there and the insulation is bad you could do a flame job on the whole harness.

Shanghied Again 08-31-2002 08:15 PM

Also check that annoying gas filter under the truck, The filter is so thin that if gas can't pass through she will not start! The Fuel system also has its own fused relay in the dash, Before the pump I would try both of them first.

Padraig 09-01-2002 07:27 AM

Thanks for the help but I had to have it towed to the garage. Checked and double checked all of the under hood fuses. Frank, I wasn't aware of the underdash fused relay, where is it? All the fuses were good but didn't know how to check the relay that was also in the fuse box. Had spark but neither my wife or me could hear the pump come on.

I don't know if the starting problem is connected but there is certainly something wrong with the MFS. I could not get the hazard lights to come on but with the hazard switch on, I could wiggle the switch and get the turn signals to work although they would not work when the switch was off. Never got the brake lights to work. Did not smell any burned wires.

Will let evryone know what the garage finds..when they open after the holiday. It could have been worse, I had just returned home from boating in the North Channel and had launched the boat. We drove the boat 15 miles home and went back to get the trailer with the 89 Dodge Cummins.

Thanks again,