Notices

Broker percentage?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Two different types of brokers IMHO.
1.) The ones that tell you what you want to hear to get the boat on their lot collect storage fees for a while and eventually beat you up with a lower sales price then you were promised.
2.)Then there are the ones that are honest with you from the get go about what your boat will bring.

I like to work with the second type of broker that is a straight shooter and accepts the fact that X amount is my bottom dollar and doesn't try to beat me up on a sales price after collecting 6-10 months worth of storage and bogus maintenance invoices to cover their payroll.

Best of luck on the sale. I've always liked the lines of sonics!!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
Two different types of brokers IMHO.
1.) The ones that tell you what you want to hear to get the boat on their lot collect storage fees for a while and eventually beat you up with a lower sales price then you were promised.
2.)Then there are the ones that are honest with you from the get go about what your boat will bring.

I like to work with the second type of broker that is a straight shooter and accepts the fact that X amount is my bottom dollar and doesn't try to beat me up on a sales price after collecting 6-10 months worth of storage and bogus maintenance invoices to cover their payroll.

Best of luck on the sale. I've always liked the lines of sonics!!

The storage is kind of a dead point for me. He is charging exactly what i pay now. So it washes with no change to me really but I get what you are saying.

With point #2. When we first talked I never told him my bottom line (actually I still haven't). I wanted to see where he put the number at and it fell in a comfort zone area for me. His # also matched what one of the biggest dealers in the US said when I wanted to get it up to them.

So I don't think he is blowing smoke and hope he is not.

My thing I will have to ask about now and assure is not there are the small fees. I have never asked so I don't know. I am fine at 10% but not fine getting nickle and dined on small stuff.

Thank you for the compliment on the Sonic lines. I too love them as well. Sit very nice in the water.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Get EVERYTHING in writing!!! I let a well known broker list my boat. He wrote an add, used the pics I sent him, and listed it.He had a very interested party, and had them send him a $10,000 deposit before they flew to see the boat. I had to be the salesman upon there arrival. They decided the boat was not for them and left. 4 months later I get a call from the potential buyers looking for the $10,000. The broker could not be reached. I lost nothing, but not the point. I see the brokers name come up from time to time on OSO and have a hard time biting my tongue. Just not my style..Good luck with the sale.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just price it at 75,000 with trailer if you want to move it. Sometimes just putting it on the money will sell. Besides winter is here and sales will be slow, Good luck selling, sounds like a nice boat.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by barron
Just price it at 75,000 with trailer if you want to move it. Sometimes just putting it on the money will sell. Besides winter is here and sales will be slow, Good luck selling, sounds like a nice boat.
I know I definitely picked the wrong time of year to sell lol. This was another reason for the broker was more publicity at this time of year.

Thanks for the kind words. I really do love this boat. Just not the time or place of my life right now. I do hope to one day come back around and hope to get into what I have now or better. She will be missed for sure.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 12-02-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trades... to me that is what the right broker brings to the table and what makes it worth listing... you loose a lot of potential sales if you can't or won't take a trade. my two cents worth...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott Shogren of Pier 57 sold my Skater in less than 40 days. I believe he normally just brings you net offers that you decide whether or not you want to accept & he just retains the difference. I think he sells a lot of boats this way. The seller often gets what he wants & doesn't find himself hung up on percentages or how much the broker is making off his boat sale regardless of how few or many days it takes to sell.

Last edited by NASCAT; 12-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Scott Shogren of Pier 57 sold my Skater in less than 40 days. He normally just brings you net offers that you decide whether or not you want to accept & he just retains the difference. I think he sells a lot of boats this way. The seller often gets what he wants & doesn't find himself hung up on percentages or how much the broker making off his boat sale regardless of how few or many days it takes to sell.

I do like that way of doing it. Really in the end I don't care what he gets, I just know what I want to bring home. Even if he sold it for way over what I was wanting, then good for him and he deserves what he makes.

I really wish the big dogs (Pier & PBC) weren't so far north and also now it is winter.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 PM
NYW
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a broker my self and noticed that one important thing was missed, when talking about the 10% commission. Most brokers use MLS systems like Yacht World and list their boats under "available for co-brokerage". What this means, is that basically any broker in the world can offer your boat to their customers and if the deal goes through, the 10% commission gets split between the listing broker (the guy you have a contract with) and the selling broker (representing the buyer). When you list your boat with a broker, it's worth wile to ask, if they will be willing to co-broker your boat, if another broker brings a paying customer to the table. Also, MLS systems like Yacht World are only for paying brokerage members, so a private seller can never get their boats listed on an MLS. Lots of boats are sold on co-brokerage, performance boats included, so this will greatly benefit the seller, as the commission will still be the same. No different than real estate actually.