Excessive Water Patrol Safety Checks

Notices

Excessive Water Patrol Safety Checks

Old 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Water Patrol Safety Checks

Originally Posted by phragle
yep, watercops are a big part of it too....

The thing about the water used to be freedom, no speed limits, no hassles, just fun.

People used to take boats up the river to party in the park every weekend. Then the govt decided we were a cash cow for the coffers, and started boarding and writing bui's hand over fist. Now the city wonders why nobody takes their boats downtown anymore, All the local police and sherriffs got so bad that the state of ohio actually passed a law making it HARDER to pull boaters over.
Reading this from another thread got me thinking.....

I'd like to know more what Ohio did. Last year in Milwaukee I got stopped for a safety check, by 2 different agencies on the same night. (Wife let the second agency have it) Now i'm not Mr. drunk guy but i'm not running away from a cocktail either, subsequently, this can be concerning. Especially at 12:45AM when we are idling down the river alone. I understand if they have probable cause but this excessive crap has to stop. It never used to be this way when I started boating.

I would be happy to lead an "probable cause stop only" crusade if anyone can offer some help or advise. Because truthfully it sure dampers a fun evening with friends treated like a criminal.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 754 Likes on 406 Posts

Water Patrol was out on LOTO last weekend. Really?! Maybe there was a bass tournament? Still...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Water Patrol was out on LOTO last weekend. Really?! Maybe there was a bass tournament? Still...
Speaking of that did I really read that it was f troop that drowned that boy?
Maybe I'm the only one who remembers the show
Old 12-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best advice I can give you is educate your self on the laws and statutes in your State. Question them and ask them why they stopped you. Document what they are doing or even videotape them, this is perfectly legal as long as you have approval of everybody in your boat.(most enforcement officers at this time start to get a little nervous) that you might know more than they do. In the state of Minnesota you need probable cause to stop someone. No random stops. They'll make up some BS reason of why they stopped you. This is were it helps to know the statutes. Call them out on it! It also help to have A lawyer friend that despises the DNR.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

10 or 12 rides this summer. Boarded 3 times and twice I still could see my house. That's 20 - 25% of the time on a good year. I wont even get into the legality of it all being I think the "safety check" is total BS but the time lost sitting there alone is enough to piss you off. One of the times were in our little jon boat crabbing. 2 mid 40's adults, no beer, 3hp motor, all the stickers displayed, life jackets, etc, etc and again we could still see our house. It was an hour before they drove off and in the mean time all our traps had been cleaned out. We just packed up and went home.
Two years ago I had one tie up to me (in my Nova19 last years ACBS boat show runner up) and by the time they ran everything we were in the weeds near the river bank. They didn't seem to care but I was fuming and when I asked if they could pull me back out so I didn't wreck my prop they said they didn't tow anyone and would call tow boat for me after they f_in put me there. I am still so mad about that one that if I saw a DNR boat on fire I would go the other way.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Amazing how this can vary. I've been boating on lake's St. Clair, Huron and Michigan since 1985 and have never been pulled over for a safety check. I was checked once while docked and another time when I was towed by the USCG ( yes the USCG did give tows long ago.).

ed
Old 12-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the Coast Guard board your boat or the DNR?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Here in mi you can have a safety check done by a independent agency. It's free and they will even come to your house for the check. If you pass, you get a couple stickers to display on each side of your boat. This really helps with getting random checks and they need probable cause to pull you over. Not saying you won't ever get pulled over again, but every little thing helps.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

They usually just drive by me and wave.....I guess I'm lucky.....
Old 12-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Come to LOTO, there's a good chance a WP guy will arrest you, put you incorrectly in a PFD, you'll never make it to the dock and drown, then lie about what happened, even in the wake of testimony and evidence to prove he's a lying POS, be careful where ever you boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.