Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marine diesel < + 400hp and up

what yall got to say about it ?
Old 12-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you'll get beat up for the d word but I personally would love a pair of 480 cummins in my boat someday
Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion the best option out now is the FPT 570, the Cummins 550 is also nice but the packaging is terrible compared to the FPT.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 580 Likes on 239 Posts

My money is on the 450 Yanmars in front of some Arnesons and call it done
Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Is anyone doing anything with marine Duramaxes these days? I saw a marine Gale Banks built Duramax in one of the truck magazines a few years ago and it looked impressive! I beleive the article said it was built for a military vessel.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered

Diesels are great for moderate speed, but have a limited rpm range. If you set them up to run hard on top, you end up with injectors that have issue at lower pressures and pulse widths and finding turbo setups that will move the air you need and still spool up somewhat decent is very difficult. They also weigh a ton and generate an insane amount of heat under full load.

Not saying it isn't cool or that they don't produce a ton of torque.. You'll definitely need arnesons to keep from destroying drives.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
My money is on the 450 Yanmars in front of some Arnesons and call it done
is that a new model they came out with?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Registered

Or if youre into the one off stuff like myself check out this Duramax 5 speed Allison setup PPE built. A++ for thinking outside the box. Rpm issue solved. Not sure how long that Allison will last but who cares!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ugzTL2y1U
Old 12-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Registered

7.5mpg at 45mph? Id never stop running if i burned that little fuel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR3laaqKAjQ
Old 12-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

This is one of the many hairbrained engine builds that pops into my head from time to time. It may work, it may not. Seeing Banks putting superchargers on top gets me thinking way outside the box. Cool stuff happens outside the box. Why use turbos at all?

I would like to see a Duramax built with some Big Block mentality for marine use. Forget turbos to simplify things especially exhaust. Use a large procharger instead with regular intercoolers, they can make more than enough boost. Good rotating assembly, ported stock or aftermarket heads with larger valves, custom camshafts, fabricated intake manifold similar to Holley Hi Ram with a large throttle body. A conventional set of headers made to fit the duramax would fit the bill and be much easier, possibly much cheaper than exhaust and turbos I would think, and would result in much less piping/plumbing. Heck, how far off is the port spacing from a BBC? Could an adapter be machined to fit to use existing headers? Build her to spin 4000 rpm, that isn't out of the realm of possibilities at all.

As far as Cummins, Duramax, Powerjoke......ect, same theory applies. Your preference. I just like the v8 look and sound

I would think that build would have the potential for some serious HP let alone torque along with reliability. But of course I could be wrong. I need to win the lotto so I can be mad engineer/scientist with this crap.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 12-04-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.