Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what a way to wake up (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32095-what-way-wake-up.html)

glassdave 09-01-2002 08:41 AM

what a way to wake up

so i'm sleep'n off the usual sunday morning fuzz an my phone rings at 7:00 AM. its my marina guard . . . .says my boat is taking water and sinking :eek: :eek: :eek: . i jump in the truck grab my trailer an fly to the marina , usually about 15 or 20 minuets away. think it took me about 4 minutes this time :D . man that was a nerv racking drive. all i could picture was 4 lines pulling down into the water where my boat used to be :( . . anyway i get to the marina and my mom and dad were already there ( they live a block away) and my dad had run the bilge pump and it was clearing the bilge just fine so it must be a small leak somewhere. possibly in the bellows or somthing. turns out that at some point during the night, Val ( the marina guard) noticed that that my exhaust was alittle closer to the water than usual so he made a mental note an looked at it a littel later and found it was definetly going down. thank god for good marina help . . an also a small town where everybody knows everybody :cool: . also didnt hurt that my boat is in dock A slip 1 right in fron of the guard house :cool: .

one other thing . . .on my way back home with my boat. on the other side of the highway where i had just screamed through at mach 5 on my way to the marina. three state troopers were now sitting on the apron taking radar . they would have nailed me for sure. :rolleyes: . . .so i guess luck was with me on many levels this morning. . . .welp . . .i'm off to look at the boat, wanna be back in by noon. :cool: . . . think i'll stop by BOAT US an grab one of them new fangeled auto bilge pumps. :rolleyes:

Playn 09-01-2002 08:50 AM

Wow, I think Val would be on the top of my Christmas list! :D

mika 09-01-2002 09:30 AM

Nice to hear about one that DIDN"T sink for a change. That could have been ugly.:eek:

Laveyman 09-01-2002 10:02 AM

Ol Val deserves a dinner for two at a fine restaurant for that save! You just don't find employees who give a darn anymore, and when you do, ya gotta treat them right!

Flashback 09-01-2002 10:16 AM

You must have an Angel watching over you.:) Great to hear of someones positive experience.

packinair 09-01-2002 11:42 AM

:p :p :p

sean stinson 09-01-2002 11:49 AM

The boat gods were shining down on you my friend....Val would definitely being on the receiving end of some goodwill ambassadors....BTW I have a certain book I could maybe lend you for info on this subject, but it would have to be strictly confidential for if this info were to fall into the wrong hands the world as we know it today would crumble.....;) ;) ;)

mcollinstn 09-02-2002 09:47 PM

Yeah, thank goodness for your lucky stars.

I got the other kind of call. The guy who lived in his houseboat directly across from my old houseboat at the marina called me on a Saturday orning. He said" Hey, did you know your houseboat was sunk? It was looking like it was going down yesterday when I left for work and was under when I got here yesterday afternoon. Since nobody has been here working on it I figured you might not know about it. It was pulling awful hard on the dock so I cut the lines, though."

Audiofn 09-02-2002 10:14 PM

Probably one of your glass repairs :p :p :p Kidding bro. That was lucky for you bro. Could have turned out a whole different way.

Jon